Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Picks for Thursday, March 31st

Hello Dear Readers

Last night I had Y La Bamba band practice followed by a Y La Bamba band meeting. I am stoked to say that we now know exactly where we are going to record and who with. There was a bit of doubt earlier this year. By them time it was over though, I was spent. Also it is difficult for me to spend money right now. But thank goodness people sometimes have free shows. And sometimes they even give away their music for free too. That is what Hosannas, one of my favorite bands, just did, yesterday. They have an EP of heavily rewritten and rerecorded old songs to make something new. It is called Thug Life Nicole EP and is it is FREE RIGHT HERE. Anyways, here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Together Gallery is having a show with Orca Team and Future Twin (San Francisco). I really like the Together Gallery. They always have art that I like and have had several shows that I have been into. This is one of those shows (obviously). Orca Team is one of my favorites. They make pop perfection with the smallest tinge of surf music. Future Twin is a band from from the Bay. If I am not mistaken these two bands are doing a NW tour together. Also it should be noted that the first song on Future Twin's myspace player is a cover of Orca Team's "Shane". I am sorry, but I think that is one of the cutest things ever. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Rotture is having a show with Pegasus Dream, RYAT (Philidelphia), CC Swim, and Nucular Aminals. I beleive that I have gushed about Pegasus Dream to you guys before. The sugary sweet vocals, the great melodies. I am all about them right now. I think that I will save my energy by just saying that they are gush worthy. Ryat is lead by the multi instrumentalis/ electronic music maker Christina Ryat and composer/ multi instrumentalist Tim Conely. Together they have made music that spans the vast genre of electronic music but always based around Christina's vocals. C.C. Swim is an interesting take on rock music with electro elements added. I can't say it is my thing. But Pegasus Dream is so awesome so I could not not list this show. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.

The Saratoga is having a show with Jeremy Faulkner, Sgt. Dunbar & The Hobo Banned (NY), and Autopilot is for Lovers. Jeremy Faulkner had a really interesting year last year. Basically he life completely changed. His band, Ah Holly Fam'ly, dissolved at the peak of their popularity. I am not saying that that band is no more. I am just saying this is the second show that I have seen him listed as playing solo. I was at a show that he played the other week, but sadly had to leave early due to intense hunger (note: always eat before the show). I was bummed. I really like the delicate playing and vocal delivery that Jeremy has mastered. If you have not, you should pick up Ah Holly Fam'ly's excellent album Reservoir. I have never heard of Sgt. Dunbar & The Hobo Banned before, but I only had to listed to a few seconds of the song "Who Do You Love?" to know that I would really like it. It starts with a driving picked guitar and then the drums and singing saw drop in. I was sold. The band has six members and way more than six instruments which they cull to make music that you can tell they have a great time playing. Autopilot is for Lovers on the other hand usually sounds miserable and longing for something that is just out of reach. That being said, I think it is great. Adrianne Hatkin voice carries it all backed by her guitar, or accordion, or piano and sometimes a full band. The show is $3 and starts at 9 PM.

Langano Lounge is having a show with The Galt Line (Poolsville, MD), Lola'suko, and Team Evil. Langano-Lounge is a fun place to see a show. It is small which makes all shows there immediately intimate. The Galt Line is not my cup of tea. I could not find out any information of Lola'suko. The show is not listed on Team Evil's myspace page, but I really like them. So if you are a gambling type person, you might consider stopping by the lounge to see if you can catch the lite jazzy indie rock of Team Evil. It will be worth it if they play. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Please.


Jeremy Faulkner plays it alone tongight at The Saratoga.

No comments: