Friday, April 15, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, April 15th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am back in Portland. I didn't get back in time to see shows last night. I also had to be at work at 7 am this morning. I just don't think last night was going to happen. Did you guys go out at all? How were the shows? Anyways, here are the shows happening today:

Doug Fir is having a show with Monarques, World's Greatest Ghosts, Jared Mees & The Grown Children, and Light for Fire. This is a bill put together by Smoke Signals booking. Smoke Signals is run by Theo Craig. Y La Bamba used to work with him and he was great. Basically his secret to booking a good show was booking a show that he would want to see. The guys got good taste. If you look at his roster you will see what I mean. Monarques are the throw back pop lead by Josh Spacek. They have recently gone through a bit of a line up shuffle. It will be interesting to see what they bring tonight. I sure that there will plenty of energy. I remember there fist show ever when they were smaller but still packed a wallop. World's Greatest Ghosts are a guitar and synth heavy band that use indie dance rock beats and huge pop hooks that just demand that you make room in your heart for them. I love them. Jared Mees and The Grown Children are a very positive and fun loving band who always go over the top performance wise. There is a lot of instrument variation and there songs seem to get bigger and bigger as time goes on. Light for Fire is the only one I am not thoroughly familiar with. But it sounds real promising. Sounding somewhere between Spoon and The Strokes. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.
The Press Club is having a show with Celilo, Don of Division Street, and Nevele Nevele. This is Portland Americana. I have written about all of these artists before, but I would like again to draw special attention to Nevele Nevele. There is something real special there. I have only seen her live videos, but here voice is immediate and haunting and all good things that you could want in a voice. She has a revolving cast of helpers but I think lately Michael Kitson (Y La Bamba, Arch Cape etc..) has been helping out. I heard one recording they did and it's beautiful. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

Ben


Jared Mees & The Grown Children play tonight at Doug Fir.

No comments: