Monday, April 4, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, April 4th

Hello Dear Readers,

I didn't go to the shows last night. Instead, I did a bunch of uninteresting to boring things. I was super close to finishing reading another book (Harry Potter, don't hate). This time I rode my bike to the bottom of Mt. Tabor and lay in the grass till it got too dark. Then I started getting a set up together to restart a podcast that I used to do. Then I got together all the numbers of the Y La Bamba merchandising sales for last month and sent it to our manager and then oh my god I'm boring even myself. I also took some time to write this blog post. I am started work at 7 AM this morning. Anyways, here are the shows happening tonight:

Valentine's is having a show with Port St. Willow and Mojave Bird. Port St. Willow the project of Nick Principe that I found out a few months ago and immediately fell in love with. It is soft and folky but is also huge sounding and epic. I forgot who he was playing with, but it was the first time in a long time that I bought music online. I got his Even//Wasteland EP from his bandcamp. It is great. Also through him I found out about this cool "Non-profit Independent Music Incubator" website called ShakingThrough based out of Philadelphia. There is a video about recording a Port St Willow song and you learn more about the guy. It looks and sounds great. Mojave Bird I had not heard before, but it is in the same vein of ambient-ish beautiful music. It too is a one person project comprised of Grace Peters. You can get her self-titled EP for FREE from her bandcamp. I did. Apparently the two are finishing a west coast tour. Congrats on making it back. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Holocene is having a show with Blood Beach, Sexhair, and Pleassure. Blood Beach is the band fronted by my friend Shane. He used to do weird folk music under the name Tex Winters. His current band is way different. It is hard to describe another way than "out there psychedelic rock. They have the normal guitar, bass drums set up but then add a member who plays saxophone, effected mandolin, and theremin and you are bound to push past normal boundaries of rock. It is a trip. Sexhair's myspace didn't have any of their music. It did have the have this, "Sexhair was born in the basement of the house on Ivy St in September of 2009. Sexhair is about women's liberation, youthful energy, radical gender views, sticking it to the man, and of course, sex." In other Sexhair news, I found this awesome clip from one of my favorite shows, Parks & Recreation. Pleassure is a garage surf rock band. That is all I could gather from the 30 second clip provided by myspace (note: I hate the new myspace). This thing is cheap so you may as well check it out, right? The show is $2 is starting at 8:30 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi". That would be a kind thing to do.

Ben


Blood Beach will play Holocene again tonight. This time it will better sound quality and less blurry.

No comments: