Saturday, April 23, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, April 23rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played in Y La Bamba at Mississippi Studios with Dark Dark Dark and Why Are You Building Such A Big Ship?. Thanks if you came out. I know that a lot of people did. It was super fun. We played all the new material. Dark Dark Dark were in top form they even got an encore. I was the first time I saw an encore for the second band playing. But if anyone deserved one, it was them. Then earlier today I watched both bands play an impromptu show at The Rose Star anarchist store on Mississippi. It was awesome. But it did make a dent in my afternoon for blogging. Anyways, here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Lewis and Clark is having Sunburn Music Fest. The festival is features Woods, Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Astronautalis, Wait What, Guidance Counselor, Mt. Eerie, and Ritchie Young. This is an incredible line up. If you can make it all the way out to Lewis & Clark you should do it. The locals Sallie Ford & The Outside Sound are great live. And I recently heard that Guidance Counselor is playing solo a The show is $10 and starts at 6 PM.
Agenda is having a show with Davis Hooker, Ozarks, Ta-Da, and Troop 23. I Have not seen Davis Hooker, though he has been recommended to me by a trusted friend. I recall it being kinda dark folk music. Davis Hooker and Ozarks released a split 7" last November. Ozarks is a project that I remember listening to and liking instantly. It is well executed pop music that has a front man with a voice that is very "indie" sounding. It is not the stringiest voice, but it works really well with the music. It is inspired by some of the greats. The arrangements are great. I hope to see it when I can, and I hope that is soon. The show is $3 and starts at 9 PM.

The White Eagle is having a show with Class M Planets, Run On Sentence, and The Envelope Peasant. Run On Sentence is the main feature here. I love that band. Dustin Hammond is the leader of this very organic revolving cast of players. Currently it has Dan Galuki (ex-Please Step Out of The Vehicle) on drums, Perry Pfister (Meyercord) on bass, Justin Fowler (Hello Loneliness) and John Whaley (Pancake Breakfast) on trumpet and vocals. They sound amazing. Especially live. Dustin's voice is the main instrument and it is epic and fun and I can't get enough of them. That last sentence was a run on sentence. The show is $6 and starts at 9:30 PM.

Mission Theater is having the record release of Blue Skies for Black Hearts new album, Embracing The Modern Age. The Satin Chaps and Midnight Callers will also be playing. To make things even more special, Blues Skies will be screening the movie that was made in tandem with the new album. Remember when bands made movies? Sure you do. The Beatles did it. The Monkees did it. hell, even The Flaming Lips did it. Blue Skies for Black Hearts make the best power pop music in town. The Satin Chaps play a similar genre, 60's inspired Go-Go music. Not many bands play this genre. The only other band I remember doing anything with it was Belle & Sebastian on their, Legal Man EP. Fun fact. Eric Hedford the bassist for The Satin Chaps recently recorded some Meyercord music. He also was the original drummer for The Dandy Warhols. Midnight Callers also play some of the power pop. THeya re a good fit with The Blue Skies. Their new album The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.
You won't see me at any of these shows, but you should greet one another as fellow human beings attending the same show.

Ben


Run On Sentence play tonight at The White Eagle

No comments: