Monday, April 11, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Mondday, April 11th

Hello Dear Readers,

Guess what! (pause) I went to a show last night. I went the one at Rontoms. I am really glad that I did. Except that in the past I feel like the shows at Rontoms have always started late. I showed up last night at 9:45 and was only able to catch the last couple of songs by aan. I was super bummed because I really was looking forward to seeing them play. Then Gardens & Villa (Santa Barbra) killed it. They were so good. It was poppy and insanely catchy with a lot of flute hooks. I don't know many other bands with flute hooks. Hosannas slowed things down in a mostly chill but sublime set. Anyways, here are the shows happening tonight:

East End is having a show with Rollerball, Fist Fite, and DJ Nate C. Rollerball have been at the top of the art rock scene for awhile. Though they aren't as well known here in Portland. Those Europeans love them. I believe their label is based out of Italy. The music is always pretty interesting, whether based around piano, effected vocals, interesting rhythms, or whatever or whoever is around, the scope of Rollerball will never be narrow. Fist Fite is an almost dark wave sounding female lead synth heavy band. I forgot her name, but the lead singer/screamer of this band totally brings it every time. The show is at 9 PM.

Ash Street Saloon is having a show with Symmetry/Symmetry, The Hauge, and Silian Rail. Symmetry/ Symmetry are a pop rock band that have a flair for cool drum parts and some sweet guitar lines. It spices things up a bit. The Hauge is a band that until recently called themselves And I Was Like, What?. For real. They haven't even changed their myspace yet. I thought I remembered them being a hybrid of indie rock and Americana. But what they this song called "Birthday Suit" that sounds pretty math rock with violin flourishes. The main reason I write about this show is Silian Rail. The virtuosic instrumental lite post rock duo from the Bay. I love them. The last time I saw them I was super impressed with the amazing drumming and the just crazy guitar playing. But now they have added a second guitar. Not in the form of another member, but rather the drummer plays guitar and drums. Sometimes at the same time. Sick. The show $3 and starts at 9:30 PM.

I am actually in Sacramento right now, so you shan't see me at any shows.

Ben


This is a very recent video of Rollerball. They play tonight at East End

No comments: