Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, October 26th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I remembered why I didn't go to see anything. It got cold and my body went into automatic hibernation mode. It is something that I try to fight every year. But every year it seems to get harder and harder to win. Tonight I sure that the warmth of my bed will tempt me. Here are the shows that make me not want to go to bed (or if I go to Azure Ray at Mississippi Studios, make me wish I was in my warm bed):

Lola's Room is having a show with And And And, Archers, and The Woolen Men. This is a really good and solid line up. The other week Lola's Room also had a really solid local line up with Ghost to Falco and Dragging an Ox Through Water. I just checked out the Lola's Calendar and it looks like these are two fluke shows. And And And write really good pop songs. Their energy is high. Their feel is positive. Their songs will get in your head. Archers have a different kind of energy, but it there is still a lot of it. I feel like they are more rock than pop. Their music is really really good. I really want to see them. The Woolen Men make perfect post-punk pop. I think that like And And And, they have more than one songwriter and lead singer. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Henry Clay People (California), The Dig (NYC), and Swim Swam Swum. Henry Clay People are a rock band from The LA area of California. I really think that if you heard them you'd know what I mean. They have embarked on their first headlining tour of our country. They have take on the NYC band The Dig to open a few West Coast dates for them. To me, The Dig sound somewhere between The Strokes and The Walkmen. I like it. What Caught my eye was Portland's Swim Swam Swum who are just really good. They are classic Indie guitar rock with enormous pop hooks and nasally vocals. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I am not asking much.

-Ben


And And And will play Lola's Room tonight. It is colder now, I cannot promise that shirts will come off.

No comments: