Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, October 3rd

Hello Dear Readers,
Last night I played at the Woods in Meyercord. It was awesome. It was super fun to play in that room with a band. I played there solo a while back but it is so much cooler when you have people on your team. Then I got to see Mike Coykendall play for the first time. He was really great. He started with a really tripped out version of "I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry". It was just him and his friend Mark. Mark held down things with a pump organ and very skillfully played either slide or pedal steel. I could not tell which because there were many many people there last night who were in my way. Then Old Light came on and killed it. They had a few friends join them on stage during the night. At one point they had Scott McPherson come up and perform dual drumming with their drummer. It was awesome. Regardless, there are many good shows tonight. Take a look:
Mississippi Studios is having a show with Hosannas, Aan, and Dana Buoy. I have been a fan of Hosannas since they were a three piece and called Church. They have since become a four piece and recorded an album and then become a two piece. Tonight they are releasing that album. It is called Together and I have heard it. It is great. It was good upon first listen and then it grew on me like crazy. I have only seen them once since they slimmed down to the current Law Brothers. It was a PDX Pop Now this year and I thought it was great. More electronic but just as dynamic. They have lined up a couple of great openers. Aan is great. I have written about them many times. They too are no strangers to extreme dynamics to convey a sense of drama. His song writing seems so honest and real. Danny Buoy is best know for his part in the avant-folk band Akron/Family. I am not sure what to expect. But I know that this will be a show that is not to be missed. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Rontoms is having a show with Archers, Charts, and The Woolen Men. Archers are a band that on my radar as bands that I really want to see. Just based on what little I have heard of them. They are a rock and roll band that sound good and fresh. I can't quite tell what it is about it, but I like it. There are not many bands in town that sound like they do. None come to my mind at least. You really should check them out. Charts have a few songs online. They all are of questionable fidelity. They play lackadaisical pop rock. The Woolen Men on the other hand play energetic pop post-punk. It should be a fun time. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Jade Lounge is having a show with Ali Wesley and Shoeshine Blue. Ali Wesley makes rainy day pop music. It is nice for a place like Portland. Shoeshine Blue makes blues Americana folk pop music. He is usually backed by impressive musicians. The last time I saw him, he had two female back singers who also played flute. It was really nice. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Petoskey, Team Evil, and Calla Louise. Petoskey is the band lead by Angie Kuzuma (also of Pigeons). Here voice is incredible. Just incredible. Her songs are fleshed out well by her band that features Justin Ready (also of Pigeons). Like that band there are strings thrown in the mix for good measure. Team Evil is a little project that makes very pretty indie rock that sounds like it knows who The brothers Kinsella are. If you know what that means, then you know what I mean. If not, you should go check out Joan of Arc and American Football right now. Calla Louise is a unassuming young woman who happens to make very beautiful music. I actually saw her play the last time I saw Petoskey play. I was very impressed with her music. Yes she covers Live on her myspace (yes, that Live "Lightning Crashes"). But I swear she is good. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I am an all right conversationalist. But not when the band is playing.

-Ben

Hosannas - When We Were Young from hosannas portland on Vimeo.

Hosannas love eggs. I guess. Wait, what are they trying to say here? They play tonight at Mississippi Studios.

No comments: