Monday, October 4, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, October 4th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to Mississippi Studios to see Aan and Hossanas. It was the CD release show for Hosasnnas' new album ironically titled Together (they kind lost 50% of the band recently). The album is great. A grower that will reward after many listens. I love it. They played a set of mostly new stuff though, because many of the songs are just not able to be played with two people. Which is not to take away from their performance. They are great not matter what. They started the set with an a capella song. That is ballsy. I would also like to mention how great Aan was. He played a new one two it was absolutely brilliant. There were so many parts that had me think to myself "that is so cool". Hopefully they put out something new soon because I would love to have a copy of that new song. I missed the opener which apparently was a mash up of The Dodo's and Akron/Family. Literally. Also Matt Sheehy (of Matt Sheehy and Ramona Falls) was in the band. Brandon of Hosannas said it was the best show he has seen since he has been in Portland. I missed out because of Y La Bamba practice. Anyways, here are some shows that might be promising:

Holocene is having a show with Golden Bears, Hungry Ghost, and Check, Please. Golden Bear is the duo of Julianna Bright (an Illustrator) and Seth Lorninczi (writer/cook). They were both in a load of bands in the Bay Area before moving up here. They have made one album and apparently working another. Judging by the songs they have on myspace they have two modes. One is kinda balls out rock. They other is ballady. There is no in-between. Seth is also the guitarist in Corin Tucker's new band. I think that Corin's album was recording in the Golden Bears studio. Hungry Ghost is a band that I found out about because Sara Lund (Unwound) on drums. I am unsure how I feel about the interesting take on blues rock. I could not find out any information about "Check, Please!". The price on this thing pretty appealing. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

The Beauty Bar is having a show with Archeology. The relatively new edition of the Beauty Bar franchise here in Portland has up until now been strictly DJs. All the other Beauty Bars in the county regularly host live music, though. I have played the one in Austin and the one in San Diego. The one in Portland is a pretty small space. Archeology seemed to have landed a Monday night residency in October. I am curious as to how this will go. The four piece is has two main songwriters and a knack for writing catchy light indie-pop songs with tons of hooks. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Mop., Thuggage, Safeword, Paul Schlesinger, and Justin Leon Johnson. As far as I can tell Mop. is not a real band but is related to Comedy is OK a Portland based comedy video thing. Thuggage on the other hand is very real (and that is how they keep it). The hyphen hip-hop group is pretty funny but also pretty good. I played a show with them a long time ago and it was great. They are a spectacle. I could not find information about the other people listed on the bill, but I am sure that it is um…funny. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I am the one Nike's.

-Ben

isaiah. mop. music. from Comedy is OK. on Vimeo.

Mop. is gonna do something at Valentine's tonight.

2 comments:

Tyler Mays said...

The Hosannas show at Mississippi was really quite super. I hadn't seen them as a duo before, nor did I really remember their music, but I was thoroughly entertained.

Also, the Archeology show at Beauty Bar went swimmingly. That place is tiny mctinytown, but it was a great deal of fun.

Ben Meyercord said...

Good to now that you are going to the shows. I freaking love Hossanas in whatever form they choose to take.

I should like to vist Tiny McTinytown someday. It sounds like a cool place.