Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, October 10th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I again missed all shows. I hope you guys went out. There was plenty to see and hear. Let me know what I missed. Here are some shows that look pretty promising to me tonight:

Valentine's is having a show with Carcrashlander and Leonard Mynx. I have not seen Carcrashlander in a long while. They have a new EP, You Were Born In a Hospital, which according to an email is freshly printed and ready to be sold. I have heard it and it is good. Damn good. I have not seen Leonard Mynx play in white some time either. He is always changing his lineup and playing new songs. I don't know what to expect. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Rotture is having a show celebrating the release of Girls to The Front Book. There will be music performances by Feelin' Alright, Tara Jane O'Neil, Ghost Mom (Tunisia, OR), Janet Pants, and DJ Snowtiger. Girls to the Front documents the Riot Grrrl scene that occurred in the 1990's. I did not experience it but heard about it and saw many bands that were directly influenced by it. It looks like a very good and interesting read. Feelin' Alright is a newish band that has something to do with Katy Davidson (Dear Nora/Key Losers). I don't know what it sounds like, but she is in good bands exclusively. Tara Jane O'Neil is also a really great musician. She melds folk and blues and kinda avant/experimental music together often using trance inducing rhythmic percussion provided by her audiences. It is something to behold. Ghost Mom is some fun ass rock and roll music. Janet Pants is a mixture of a band and dance or "dans" troupe. Brian Mumford (Dragging an Ox Through Water) is a part of the band part of things. I have not experienced Janet Pants, but I am very curious. The show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Pigeons, St. Frankie Lee, Mike Coykendall. This show is a CD release celebration for Pigeons new album. I you like passionate Americana then you should check them out. I really like them. I think they got opener Mike Coykendall to record their album. He has done a great job. I got to see Mike play for the first time last week. He is great. His voice and guitar is all that he needs to fill a room. Luckily for us though he often uses others to take the music to even higher levels. When I saw him last week he was with a lap steel player who knocked my socks off. I haven't seen St. Frankie Lee in sometime, but they have always but on lively shows and engage the crowd in a very effective manner. They are awesome. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Saratoga is having a show with Don Hellions, Greenbelt Collective (B.C.), and Almost Dark. I really like Don Hellions. I have not seen that they have been playing much since Reservations ( a band that includes members of Don Hellions and Mattress) started playing around town. I like that sound of the organ and sax together. Plus I really like the tunes they are so solid. I don't know anything about Greenbelt Collective. But most Canadian Collectives are pretty good. They seem to be high energy and happy with a lot of cool synth lines and lot of group vocals. The show is at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Shadow Shadow Shade (LA), Billygoat, and Arch Cape. Shadow Shadow Shade make music that follows the trend of very impressive large indie bands that have many instruments and many voices. I gotta say, at this point I can't get enough of band like this. Billygoat are a group that do not have a lot of members but have a lot of instruments. They actually jest recently added a drummer to the fold officially making them a three piece and freeing them from some drum machines. The initial duo also hand make animation to coincide with their performances. They are quite beautiful. They also sell prints of the stills on the cheap. We have several in our house. Cheap art is awesome. Then there is Arch Cape the newish band lead by one Rachel Blumberg. She has put together a band that is just great. Her songs are at once really chill and catchy. She has Seth Mankoski (Oh Captain My Captain/Jen Moon)on bass, vocals, and percussion. She has Michael Kitson (Y La Bamba/Oh Captain My Captain) on vocals, drums, bells, and percussion. Rachel plays keyboards, marimba, and vocals and maybe some percussion. They are great. I saw them play once before and I was an instant fan. I still get their song, "Beach House" stuck in my head. A lot. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


TJO will be playing at Rotture tonight. Rachel Blumberg (drumming in this video) will be playing in Arch Cape at Mississippi Studios tonight.

No comments: