Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, October 21st

Hello Dear Readers,

Last Night I was pooped. I realized much too late that I failed myself. I let there be a 20 hour gap between meals. That mixed with my three and a half hours of sleep left me very sleepy. I did not see any shows last night. but here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Fruit Bats, Wye Oak, and Norman. I really Like Fruit Bats. I first heard of Eric Johnson because he did some stuff with Califone in Chicago. He released the First Fruit Bats release on Califone's Perishable Records. It was great. Last I checked Eric lives here in Portland (he also plays guitar in that Portland band, The Shins) which makes this a local show. Fruit Bats has always had pop sensibilities, but it is now a full on pop band with a tiny tinge of country. I saw Baltimore's Wye Oak open for Blitzen Trapper a while back. I remember them being pretty great. They are a duo and are on Merge records. That means they are good. Merge puts out all the great bands nowadays: Arcade Fire, Spoon, M Ward and more. I guess you could say that Merge is like a seal of quality. The show is $13 and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Kele Goodwin, Denver, and Jennie Wayne. Kele Goodwin is releasing his debut album "Hymns". I have not heard it, but I have heard Kele. His voice is Nick Drak-ish. His songs are gently finger picked and he got Sean from Mussee Mecanique to arrange it. If you have not heard them, they are the best arranged band in Portland (if not the world). I am dying to hear it. Denver is a somewhat of a super group. Bands represented: Blitzen Trapper and Death Songs. Both of those bands are great. Therefore, Denver is probably pretty great. Jennie Wayne is also someone you should check out. I have seen her play a few times and am always taken aback by how pretty the music is. It is also minimal folk.The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Camellia Lounge at the Tea Zone is having a show with John Michael, Annie Bethancourt, and Hannah Glavor. I am writing about this show because I think Annie Bethancourt is great. Her songs are great. Her voice is great. If anyone has a copy of my out of print Meyercord Childis EP you can hear her sing a song with me. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". It wouldn't kill you. Nor will I.

-Ben


Jennie Wayne is playing Kele Goodwin's CD release show at The Woods tonight.

No comments: