Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, October 17th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I did not go to a show. But I did hang out with a lot of musicians (note: I don't have any real friends, just people who play music with or shared bills with). There was a birthday party at Bunk Bar. Then I went to Eric's house (he is my "friend" and also plays accordion in Y La Bamba) and he had two baby ducks. They were playing with a baby kitten. It is really really hard to leave a place where there is that amount of cuteness occurring. So I did not end up seeing any music, but no regrets Here are the shows that look good tonight:

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Crayon Fields (Melbourne, AU), Archeology, and Karl Blau (Anacortes, WA). Crayon Fields are a self proclaimed pop band. A name like Crayon Fields gives off an air of twee. And sure enough when I listened to some tracks the singer has a very lite/breathy voice. The music is 60's influenced and reminds me of the feel of early Belle & Sebastian (in a good way). Archeology are playing a lot this month because of their residency at Beauty Bar. They will probably be really tight. They have pop music with huge hooks that will get stuck in your head immediately upon listening. Karl Blau is a staple in Pacific NW indie music. I first heard of him from a Microphones song of his name sake. I later learned that he was a real person and actually had something to do with the making of the record. His name keeps coming up in all sorts of places. From working with everyone from indie-pop bands like Lake to Doom bands like Earth. He is around and keeping busy. I think his solo stuff is mostly anything goes indie-pop. Th show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Rontoms is having a show with Gavin Castleton and Lex Land. Gavin Castleton is a guy who is hard to peg. I will not try to, but I do want to let you know that I think the guy makes great music. He crafts it. He can play many instruments, really well and can loop and be a one man band, or play with others. He can sing. He can rap. He can conceive interesting concepts and make them available to people. I guess what I am saying is that he is the real deal. Oooo, I just saw that he might consider himself progressive soul. I like that. He has an album about to come out called Won Over Frequency. I don't know much about Lex Land, but my guess is that there might be some collaboration going on tonight. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Kelley Stolz (San Francisco), Old Light, and Evan Way. Kelly Stoltz is a pop guy. If you listen to his music, the obvious influences are there. It still manages to sound fresh though. It still sounds really good. He is touring a new album that just came out on Sub Pop. It is always fun to see a person play songs they are stoked on. I played a show with Old Light very recently (their CD release show). I thought they were pretty good. I really enjoyed their use of three part harmonies and ability to find the groove in a song and ride it out. Plus I have never seen an auto harp played though a pedal board. It sounded really cool. Not to be confused as That Other Dude from Parson Red Heads (Charlie who will be playing in Old Light). Evan Way is probably better know as that dude from Parson Red Heads. He recorded a solo ep a while back. I bet he will play some songs off of it. I have only heard three songs that he has up on myspace. They are all different. One sounds very sparse like a Mark Kozelek song (he's listed as an influence). One songs sounds sounds a little like a Cat Stevens song. Then there is a crazy freak out piece. So I guess I don't really know what to expect. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Mudai Lounge is having a show with Matt Rafferty, Million Brazilians, Davis Hooker, and Gang Radio. Million Braziians play peculiar psychedelic punk music that sounds like it came from a strange place. Which is very well may have. I am mostly listing this show because of Davis Hooker, who one of my good friends said is really good. He doesn't play out much. He only has one song on myspace. He is a bit of a mystery. I think he plays an acoustic guitar and writes very sad songs. Or at least that is the impression that I get. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at either of these shows please say, "Hi". Or some sort of greeting

-Ben


This Parson Red Head, Evan Way, will be playing in The Woods tonight.

No comments: