Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, October 12th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night, I will admit, I was just exhausted. I have been kept with my current trend of staying in. Which in retrospect I regret a bit. My room mates went to go see We're From Japan! at Tube. I didn't go because of my case of the sleepies, but the guys were home before they had completely taken me over. I should have gone. Oh well. Here are the shows that look good to me:

Valentine's is having a Tom Tom Magazine Benefit. They will have musical acts Lavender Mirror, Tara Jane O'Neil with Elizabeth Venable, Secret Century, and DJ Labrys. Tom Tom Magazine is dedicated to female drummers, something this town has a lot of. But the magazine is world wide. Here is what their website said, "Tom Tom’s purpose is to raise awareness about girl and women percussionists from all over the world and to inspire females of all ages to drum. Tom Tom’s goal is to strengthen and build the community of otherwise fragmented female musicians and to create a network of musicians around the world. Tom Tom serves a unique purpose by catering exclusively to female drummers and providing them with important information and resources. We are dedicated to bringing you interviews and information about female percussionists from around the world. We are online and in print." They already are on issue four. Lavender Mirror is a duo that make electronic music. TJO is amazing. She straddles the folk and experimental world she is doing a performance with Elizabeth Venable (drummer for Sad Horse). In related Elizabeth Venable news, I found that you can download an album of her's for free right here. Secret Century's is supposedly something to do with Mama Fleshtone. I am guessing that had something to do with Fleshtone. I am unsure if I got the correct link. The show is a sliding scale of $5-$10 and will start at 9 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having Bryan Free, Matt Hopper, and Half-Handed Cloud play a show Bryan makes the pop music. He is usually on the piano of on some synths. He sometimes has a backing band called The Doxyhaunts. I am not sure if the Matt Hopper that I linked to is the one playing tonight. Half-Handed Cloud is what really caught my attention here. He is a really optimistic part time janitor who writes often tiny indie pop gems on Sufjan Steven's label. The show is FREE as Brayan's last name and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Anna McCue (Nashville) and Kelly Blair Bauman. I don't know anything about Anna McCue of Nashville. Apparently she is a big deal in certain circles. I am writing about this show because of Kelly Blair Bauman. I have written about him several times and he even included a quote from my blog on his myspace. Nice one. This is what I said, "I could see Kelly gracing the cover of No Depression Magazine (RIP). His songs are really good and the record is really well recorded and arranged with all the nice fixing's of a good alternative album, pedal steel, harmonica, banjo, and whatever." That seems about right. The show is $10 and starts at 8 PM.

Lola's Room is having a show with Dragging an Ox Through Water and Ghost to Falco. This is an amazing show. Dragging an Ox Through Water is really good. He is very unique in what he does and given that I have not seen him play in a bout a year, there is a chance that it may be something different all together. Last time I saw him he had an electric guitar and a mess of noise makers including hand oscillators and a hint of folk music. Ghost To Falco is someone who I haven't seen in even longer. I remember being very impressed the last time I saw him at Artistery. So much so that I bought his last full length on Vinyl. I recall the music being very dark and moody. I loved it. In fact I think I am going to listen to that record when I get home. He has a newer record out too, Exotic Believers one out that I have yet to hear. But I understand that Brian Mumford aka Dragging an Ox Through Water makes an appearance on the record I just mentioned. You should check out Infinite Front records. In addition to putting out Ghost to Falco's latest full length, the collective/label released a split 7" between Castanets, Ohioan, Ghost to Falco, and Dragging an Ox Through Water. I am sure that they will be selling it tonight at the show. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Bunk Bar is having a show with Winterhaven. Bunk Bar is a newer venue. I first went there for NFMW where they had some shows. It was a nice little space made nicer by the fact that you can order the famous Bunk Sandwiches. Tonight they will be hosting a Winterhaven the Portland band with a tendency to want to take you back to the time when country rock was king. Think lots of harmonies, a lot of rock, and a little bit of twang. The show is FREE at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Think of it as helping out the community. The Indie Rock community.

-Ben


Winterhaven play Bunk Bar Tonight for FREE.

No comments: