Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, October 19th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I stayed home. Basically what I need to do is save up enough to get a bike. I think that would help. I want to be able to afford to get to show and be able to pay to get in. I realize that some of my show absences have been financial decisions. I think a bike is way more economical. Anyway, enough of my bitching. Here are the Portland centric shows happening tonight :

Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, better known as The Schnitz is having an incredible show with Belle & Sebastian and Typhoon. That is right it. The legendary, in my mind, Belle & Sebastian are in town today. I love that band so much and realized that I have been listening to them for abut ten years. That is kinda nuts. They introduced me to genre tags such as indie pop, Twee, and baroque pop. They have been consistently been putting out good records. The classics (If Your Feeling Sinister or Boy With The Arab Strap) are classic, the newer records are great too (Dear Catastrophe Waitress and The Life Pursuit are totally underrated in my opinion). There is a new album out called Write About Love. I think it is pretty darned good. I will see this show. If nothing to see my homies in Typhoon. They are sooooo good. I am happy to see them playing a show this size. They play music that is so epic pulls tight the heart strings and also at times channels pure joy. I cannot recommend them enough. The show is a hefty $45 and starts at 8 PM.

Someday Lounge is having the after party of the Belle & Sebastian show. They are going to have Y La Bamba play a set. They will also have DJ Cooky Parker spin records which the possibility of members of Belle & Sebastian cutting in so to speak to spin as well. As a member of Y La Bamba, I am so stoked about this show. As I said before, I love that band. Plus we will be debuting a new arrangement of an old song (but newer than anything on our new album). It will be a high energy set, as that is what has been requested of us. DJ Cooky Parker is actually Scott McGee of Y La Bamba, Loch Lomond, Nick Jaina, etc… He has been spinning soul 45's since April and has gotten pretty good at what he does. He has a monthly gig at The Woods and is in talks of getting a radio program on KBOO. It is quality unheard stuff mostly. He digs and finds treasures. The show is $5 and starts at 11 PM (I think it is discounted if you have a Belle & Sebastian ticket stub).

If you see me at either of these shows please say, "Hi". I am the one with the beard and shoes on.

-Ben


Image this with electric guitars on a huge stage and you get an idea of what Typhoon will sound like tonight at the Schnitz.

No comments: