Friday, October 22, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, October 22nd

Hello Dear Readers,

I think that my late Tuesday Night had a larger effect on me than I had initially anticipated it having. I ended up having to take a nap yesterday evening that resulted in me being unable to leave the house because I was too cozy. I needed the rest. But now that I am rested, I am ready to see some music. Oh dang, there are a lot of them tonight. Here are the shows that peak my interest:

The Alberta Rose is having Live Wire! They will have two shows I believe for the price of one. Actually, maybe more. Live Wire! is a variety show. This means that there are many aspects show it is actually a uh... variety of acts. Musical guests are Curtis Salgado with musical partner Alan Hagar, Sean Flinn & The Royal We, and Grievous Angel. There will also be the guys from Wieden + Kenndey ad firm that created the really funny Old Spice spots. They will also have Richmond Fontaine frontman/novelist Willy Vlautin talking about what he does. I am told that Curtis Salgado and Alan Hagar are Bluesmen. I am told that I am in Sean Flinn & The Royal We. We are a pop band that touches on many of pop's sub genre's. Plus we have many of Portland's best players. Grievous Angel is actually something like a musical based on a Graham Parsons interview. The show is $15-$30 and starts at 7:30 PM.

The Know is having a show with Diesto, Vultures 2012 (Seattle), and The Black Budget. Did you know that there was a loud rock music scene in Portland? Surely you did. I mean we have Red Fang and Rabbits and many others. My roommate Devon recently joined one of them. He is the new drummer of Diesto. Good on him and good on them. They are both pretty good. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

The Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall is having s a show with She & Him and Mike Coykendall & The Golden Shag. The she is Zooey Deschanel, the him is M Ward. M Ward reps Portland and is awesome. Also from Porland is Mike Coykendall the guy who has recorded most of the M Ward records out there and M Wards (and Meyercord's) drummer Scott McPhearson. Zooey writes the songs and Mr Ward produces and arranges them. They make pop music that is bubbly and bright. Mr. Coykendall's other band plays music that is considerable less bright. It is pretty awesome though. I have only seen him play at The Woods. This space is about a million times bigger. The ALL AGES show is $35 and starts at 8 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Scout Niblett, Holocombe Waller & The Healers, and Arrington de Dionyso. I must be honest. I think that this is a line up of some musical weirdos. Scout's music is usually kind of dark and is based in the rock genre but is free to go where ever it wants to go. That being said the music is interesting and sometimes very cool. Okay maybe Holocombe Waller is not that weird, but he used to have elaborate shows that were kinda like theater. Or so I was told. Arrington de Dionyso does his own thing. Check description out, "Arrington de Dionyso uses performance as a vehicle for driving through the nameless territories held between surrealist automatism, shamanic seance, and the folk imagery of rock and roll. Arrington performs on the bass clarinet, jaw harps, and his voice with a distinctly multiphonic ability inspired by Tuvan throatsinging and the ecclesiastics of Albert Ayler and Don Van Vliet. Pushing the envelope between musicality and pure energy, between shamanic ecstasy and lunacy, he enwraps rooms with resonant sound. He tours constantly, and has performed or/and recorded with notable improvisers throughout the U.S.A., Canada, Italy, France, Israel and Japan. He presents workshops on improvising with the voice in conjunction with his travels around the world." Intriguing, no? The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.

There is a Waterheater Benefit Show tonight at Waterheater. For those of you who do not know of this venue, it is the latest effort to have a ALL AGES venue. Tonight K-Tel '79, Blood Beach, Cat Stalks Bird, Heavy Sweaters, My Autumn's Done Come, Sallo, Quiet Life, and DJ Xcaliber will all be performing in hopes that the venue actually can take off. Actually the space aims to be more than a venue. From their website, "We are a non-profit communal arts space, dedicated to the communities that bore us, that helped and fed us, that watered us and watched us grow." That is if they stay open long enough to grow. Many of these bands I have written about before. You should click on some links to check them out. Especially Quiet Life. Or Blood Beach. The ALL AGES show is at 7 PM.

Mudai Lounge is having a show with Pluvial, Silian Rail, and Team Evil Pluvial is a drums and bass duo. They can rock your balls off. Silian Rail is a duo from the Bay. They can rock your socks off. Team Evil is more than two people. They may not rock anything off, but you will be pleased with the sounds that they make. I am especially a fan of Silian Rail they are instrumental post rock that pushes what two people can do. It is impressive. I have not seen either Portland bands, but I have written about them before and want to see them play. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Pizza is having The Grapefruit League and Wishyunu play a show. I am not familiar with The Grapefruit League, but them seem pretty 'aight. I am writing about the show because I like Wishyunu. I wish you knew their music too. You should check it out if you are at all into pop music. Or electro-pop music. Or looped jam outs. Or kraut rock. Or good music in general. The show is at 9 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with Lewi Longmire & The Left Coast Roasters and The Robinsons. Lewi Longmire is the guy who actually books the Laurelthirst. His band is country rock. Or along those lines at least. The Robinsons is a vehicle for Kevin and Anita Robinson to play music as a duo again. The sets are comprised a mix of songs from their two bands Viva Voce and Blue Giant. I like them the best in this configuration. The show is $6 and starts at 9:30 PM.

If you see me at the Alberta Rose do not hesitate to say, "Hi". I am the back singer with a beard.

-Ben


Sean Flinn will be doing Live Wire! tonight at The Alberta Rose.

No comments: