Sunday, October 24, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, October 24nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I thought I was going to a house meeting at 6:30 PM. The house meeting ended up being at 8 PM. This totally bummed me out, because had I known that I would have caught Like a Villain at Bar Bar. Sigh. Oh well. Here are the shows that looked good tonight:

The Know has a show with Carcrashlander, Silian Rail, and Sun Noble. Carcrashlander is the vehicle for Cory Gray to put out all of his songs. He also plays on almost everyone's records in town. On their latest ep, Born in a Hospital, they add something that they have been toying with live for a while. That something is reggae. Have you ever heard of it? Ever since Built to Spill gave the go ahead, indie rock has been dubbing out. I really like the ep. Silian Rail is an amazing instrumental post-rock outfit from The Bay. Their music is so good, both the drums and the guitar (and whatever else they manage to play as well). I have been listening to them for a few years now. Sun Noble are in the same ball park. They have a few live demos on the web. It has members or Team Evil, Paper/Upper/Cuts, Pluvial and more. They sound awesome. The show is $ and starts at 8 PM.
Doug Fir is having a show with Brothers Young, Cabinessence, and Ezza Rose. Brothers young are good. They remind me of a mix of Beta Band and Midlake. I don't remember knowing about Cabinessence. It seems like feel good 70's country rock. Think of what Beachwood Sparks were doing. It is along those lines. Ezza Rose has one of the prettiest voices in Portland. She also has lined up a great band. Her new album of folk pop should be done soon. Keep an eye out. You really should check it out. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I am the one with the beard and shoes on.

-Ben


Carcrashlander will play at The Know Tonight. Sweet.

1 comment:

Ben Meyercord said...

Oh, and The Morals are Playing Rontoms for FREE