Monday, October 11, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, October 11th

Hello Dear Readers,

Oh no. Not Again! I managed to miss yet more shows. I tend to have a hard time balancing my time between show going and showing visitors a good time. Alas, she leaves tonight and I will get back to my normal show going self. Here is what looks good tonight:

Valentine's is having a show with John Heart Jackie, What Hearts, and Mike Elias. John Heart Jackie are the folk duo of Jenny Wayne and Peter Murray. They have put out and ep and an album. Both of which sound fantastic. I have seen them play a few times and seen Jenny Wayne also play a few times as well. I have always been impressed. What Hearts is a band that really reminds me of early Dear Nora. Which I really love. Maybe it is just the soft double vocals. Either way it sounds like a band I will keep my eyes and ears on. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Secret Society is having a show with Mike Apinyakul. You probably have heard of the band he fronts Shoeshine Blue. I am not sure if Mike ever played solo before as Shoeshine Blue, but I certainly see the songs standing on their own quite well. I love the embellishments that a full line up is capable of, but I am also curious how they sound stripped down. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Tube is having a show called Bad Reputation with We're From Japan!, Macrocosm, and DJ Nate C. Bad Reputation is curated every Monday at The Tube. He is a man in the know and while usually he tends to deal with heavy music he is versed in other music too. I have not seen We're from Japan since they joined up with current drummer Vincent Covarrubisas. He used to drum in AristeiA way back and he is drumming with Brittain Ashford. I love We're from Japan! and their ability to build a song to almost impossible tension. Macrocosm list their genres as psychedelic Metal Jam Band. Actually this is fairly accurate. They only have one song on their myspace. It is a epic seven minute live recording with a ridiculous amount of riffage. The show is $3 and starts at 9:30 PM.

Beauty Bar is having the second in the month long residency of Archeology. Every Monday in October they will be playing at 9 PM. As I said last week, up until this residency I had never heard of live music in this pretty small venue. But from what I heard Archeology killed it last week and will probably continue to do so this week. If you are into really catchy melodies and simple yet effective pop arrangements this is the band for you. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Kenton Club is having a show with Lana Rebel. Lana Rebel makes country music. Classic sounding country music along the lines of a Hank Williams or something. I love it. I don't know of anyone else in town who is doing this kind of music this well. I think that every second Monday she plays this gig at Kenton Club. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I am the one all bearded up.

-Ben


John Heart Jackie are playing at Valentine's tonight.

No comments: