Monday, October 18, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, October 18th

Hello Dear Readers,

After a long day, I was unable to go out at all. I did a full day of work followed by back to back band practices and a band meeting. I just wanted to go home. Which I did. I hope that you guys went out to some shows. What did I miss? Should I be living in regret? Let me know either way. Oh, and here are some shows that look pretty good:

Valentine's is having a show with Pegasus Dream, Brass Clouds, and Stepkid. Do you like synth based pop music that use lived drummers and guitars? I do! which is why I think that Pegasus Dream is pretty cool. They have a lot going on for them including vocal harmonies that a lot of electro pop groups that lack the huge pop sensibilities lack. Think Of Montreal mixed with Ratatat. I have not seen them but I want to. Hey, do you guys remember that band Bark Hide and Horn? They had this drummer you see. And like many drummers in this town, he has the ability to play many other instruments. Well, anyway apparently almost every day this drummer lets call him Dusty plays music with his buddy Henry. They not only play everyday, but I think they record most of it. They even decided to call it a band and play out sometimes. Whenever you see the band name Brass Clouds, you should think of these guys because they are one and the same. Stepkid is the new solo/side project of Ben from XDS. I actually have not seen XDS in a long time, so I have not seen him drum. But I bet that is pretty cool. This project appears to have a lot of drums that are not live. This makes sense because although it can be done, it is hard to play many instruments while holding down a drum beat. Some of the Stepkid music is chill electronic beats. But some of it reminds me of the digital hardcore music I used to listen to in high school. That is to say it has high energy distorted break beats and vocals and whatever. You can download his e for free right here. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Beauty Bar is having a show with Archeology. Just in case you did not catch Archeology play Mississippi Studios last night (like I did), you can see them tonight. They are playing every Monday as past a residency at Beauty Bar. I hear that while the space is small that the shows are fun. And this band is only going to get better. I don't have their latest album, but I have one of the three EPs they released over the last couple of years. It is poppy as hell. It focuses around double lead vocals and lead acoustic guitar filled out with the full indie pop garnishes. The show is FREE at 9 PM.

Proper Eats is having a show with Uke of Spaces Corners County and Michael Hurley. This is a bio of Uke of Spaces Corners County from his label's website, "Dan Beckman, a man known for his years spent touring solo under the name UKE OF PHILIPS,not to mention the many years touring with weird beard noise punk band IMPRACTICAL COCKPIT as well as taking part in the new incarnation of the SIX DUDE TOURING BAND. On SO FAR ON THE WAY, Dan officially changes his solo plunderings from UKE OF PHILIPS to UKE OF SPACE CORNERS COUNTY. And with a little help from Amy Moon O.S. and a bunch of other friends, he has produced an awesome mix of weird-in-between-world anthems, dylan-esque folk songs, an epic soundtrack to have tea to and not to mention a SUN RA cover." I could not find a myspace or anything so I could not listen to a lot of music. It seems folk with some interesting elements that don't always make current folk music. Like whistling or kazoo. I am writing about this show because I like the music of Michael Hurley. He is an older dude that makes folk music really well. Seriously. I think it is just good. The show is at 6 PM.

If you see me at either of these shows please say, "Hi". Or hello or Salutations, if you must.

-Ben


Pegasus Dream, local Music Video Stars, will be playing at Valentine's tonight!

No comments: