Monday, October 25, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, October 25th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to a dinner gathering. Basically I ate too much and then didn't want to do anything. So I didn't. Also there were so many shows. When that happens I get a little overwhelmed. Anyway here are some shows that look goo tonight:

Valentine's is having a show with Quiet Life, Alina Hardin, and Raquel Nasser. So I know that this is being billed as a Quiet Life show, but I also read somewhere that is Sean of Quiet life solo. I looked it up and he has a solo music page here. Quiet Life generally play a mixture of country rock or folk rock to what sounds like straight up country. I bet solo there will be some minimal version of his band's songs. I did notice that one particular song, "Big Green", was on both Quiet Life and Sean's solo page. The song has a female vocal harmony on it. I am betting that it is Raquel Nasser who is listed as a sometimes member of Quiet Life. Her solo output seems to be slower blues folk music that is recorded in various levels of fidelity (mostly on the lower end of the spectrum). I feel like her recordings do not do her justice. Alina Hardin makes very pretty folk music in the same vein as her good friend Alena Diane. They even put out a split 10". I bought that along with her cdr the first time I saw her because I was so impressed. I love the feel of her music. Gentle and sad. I am such a sucker for that combo. I am pretty sure that Eric Early of Blitzen Trapper recorded her album. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Beauty Bar is having the last of Archeology's October residency. This is a band that is based around a core duo of songwriters. They have crafted several home made eps before releasing their debut album, Memorial. Their music can generally be categorized as indie pop music. They tend to use acoustic guitar as the central skeleton of the song. They then flesh the songs out by adding layers of keyboards , guitars, vocals, and other things. The songs are pretty catchy. I have seen them a couple times. It is fun. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Kenton Club is having Lana Rebel & The Love Lasers play as they do every second and fourth Monday of every month. I have yet to make it out to one of these shows. I know that one day I will though. I really enjoy what I have heard of her music. I would I would enjoy it even more in a live setting. I mean I not a huge country, but I do really like it when it is done well. Lana Rebel does it really well. It is sad music about drinking and such. I love it. The show is FREE and starts at 9:30 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I am the one with the beard and shoes on.

-Ben


Lana Rebel will help you indulge in your urges to drown your sorrows tonight at Kenton Club!

No comments: