Friday, July 31, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for July 31st

Hello Dear Readers,

I had to work all day at work again. So dumb. Anyway there is a lot of good stuff happening tonight. Last night I get real lazy and didn't go to any shows but went to last Thursday instead. And guess what I saw. Some music. In particular I want to say that Nicoluminous was awesome. He is beat boxer/really good freestyler. He had a wireless mic hooked up to a utility belt of delay pedals and a looping pedal strapped to his stomach and he was doing some really amazing stuff. Anyways, here is what is happening today.

Friday, July 31st


Berbati's is having night two of the First Fest: Tango Alpha Tango, The Black Whales, The Winebirds, The Deer or The Doe, Phantom and Pill Thief. It is true that I think the first night had way better bands. but that might be because I am not too familiar with these bands. I know that I have written about The most of them but I haven't really gotten to know them that well. I know that Potlatch Presents usually deals with good bands, so I am going to trus them with this show. The show is $5 or $10 for the rest of the nights (I guess there being only two nights including tonight, the bargin aspect of the bracelet has now passed). The show starts at 8 PM.

The Artistery is having a Hush benefit with Explode into Colors, White Fang and Wampire. The Hush was a short lived ALL AGES venue that was right above the tube. It was in part fun by Rocky from Wampire. I t was awesome they always had really good shows. The fact that they are having a benefit gives me hope that they might start it up again. That would be cool. Plus Wampire wrote my current favorite summer jam, "Orchids". The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Matt Sheehy & The Menders, Justin Power and Classical Revolution PDX. These guys are both so good. I have heard a rumour that The classica revolution will be backing both of these gentlemen. Kinda like PCP. I guess you have to go to know. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

The Waypost is having a show with Gregory Miles Harris & Friends. This is the last of his Summer long Residency. I think that he is totally worth checking out. For reals (even though, I have yet to. trust me I make myself sick with the amount of bands I feel I should have seen by now). The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with The Ascetic Junkies, St. Frankie Lee and Nick Caceres. Folk Rock 4evah! I have run out of time at the library. They are kicking me out. The show is at 9:30 PM.




Justin Power plays sans the PCP tonight, though perhaps Classical Revolution PDX might contribute a similar bed of strings for his songs.


No comments: