Monday, July 13, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for July 13th

Hello Dear Readers,

It is a new week. I am very excited about this week because there are many good shows. As you have probably figured out by now, That is sort of what I am "into". Last night for instance I went to Backspace and caught the Michael Jackson Tribute. It was pretty rad. I ended up doing some very last minute backing vocals and snaps for Leonard Mynx on "The Way You Make Me Feel". But hands down the best moments were when Grey Anne made her vocal loop for the fade out of "Leave Me Alone" and Typhoon's epic rendition of "Billie Jean". Anyways, here is what is up.

Monday, July 13th

Baller Tower is a new house venue (hopefully). Tonight they will host a inagural show. I am very happy to be part of it playing my "Meyercord" songs. But there are some really good bands playing this bad boy, like Breakfast Mountain, Wampire, Hail Satan, Duck. Little Brother, Duck!, The Sarcastic Dharma Society, Ross McLeron, and Padraic Finbar Hagerty-Hammond. the Sarcastic Dharma Society will be playing first at precisely 8pm! He is one of my favorites and you would be a fool not to see him play. I also have yet to see Breakfast Mountain play live. I am so stoked. Plus Wampire is always great and if you have not seen Padriac Finbar Hagerty-Hammond you should change that. Apparently he has some news songs that will wow you. So I am fairly sure this is ALL AGES and FREE. It starts, as I said, promptly at 8 PM.

The White Eagle is having a show with Black Heart Moon, When The Broken Bow, and Audie Darling. If I weren't so playing the house show this would surely be my second choice. I love Black Heart Moon. They just posted a new recording today of one of my favorite songs of theirs, "The Sunlight and The Sand". When the Broken Bow is Alia Ippolito (of many groups) and Audie Darling fill out this bill very nicely. It will be a night of female led indie folk-pop or whatever you want to call it. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with The Pharmacy (Seattle or New Orleans, I am unsure), Jack Lewis & Twigs, and Don Hellions. The Pharmacy sounds real good, it vaguely sounds like if Pavement and David Bowie had a child. I saw Jack Lewis (He is the brother of that other J. Lewis) play a Michael Jackson song last night it seemed 'aight. Don Hellions sound kinda crazy. I just saw that they are playing PDX Pop Now! 2009, which just released it's schedule recently. The show is FREE? and starts at 9 PM.

So if you see me at the house show. Please say "hi". I would love it.

-Ben

The Sarcastic Dharma Society - Shit On My Heart (By Meyercord) from sarcasticdharma on Vimeo.


Sarcastic Dharma Society covering me. Who will play this song tonight? Probably him, cause even though I wrote it, I never play it.

No comments: