Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for July 9th and 10th

Hello Dear Readers,

You know how in the Summer here in Portland there is a BBQ everyday all day all the time? You need a break from all that lounging right? Might I suggest attending a show. Here is a list of the ones I think look promising.

Thursday, July 9th

Dunes is having a show with Amos Val, Congradulations, and Cat Stalks Bird. Congratulations is that band with Eskimo & Sons and The Old Believers, right? I have no way of telling if this is that band. But Amos Val sounds pretty sweet if you like pretty instrumental post-rock. Cat Stalks Bird doesn't sound half bad neither. The show is at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having the Bitch Magazine Benefit: Sugar Shortwave, Boy Eats Drum Machine, Katie Sawicki and Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside. Bitch Magazine is the magazine that reminds you that feminism is not dead. Taking the word back and all. It is a good cause and there are good people playing it. If you have not seen Sallie Ford, you are missing out. Such a strong voice. Such a tight band. The show is $10 and starts at 8 PM.

Holocene is having PICA's 14th Birthday with Strength, Point Juncture, WA, Lovers and DJ Girlfriends. Strength is dancey with a lot of rhythmic strummy guitar stuff. Point Junture is awesome indie rock pop. It is well arranged and well played. Lovers is a band I still have not seen but am a big fan of their latest release. Their song Igloos for Ojos is a contender for "jam of the Summer". The show is $5 if you are a PICA Member and $7 if you are not. The show starts at 8 PM.

The Artistery is having a show with Ryland Bouchard, and Drakkar Sauna. Ryan Bouchard used to play music under the alias The Robot Ate Me. I kinda saw him play PDX Pop two years ago. It was a very very hushed set that had him end very early and left many people confused as to whether he had just played a set or finished a sound check. It was weird. Anyway, since then he started playing under his own name and seems much more comfortable with it. I recently saw him on the Blogotheque take away show series. Pretty cool. I keep hearing about Drakkar Sauna. I hear that they do not play too often so tonight is kinda of a special night. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Friday, July 10th

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Azure Ray and White Hinterland. Umm.m...Azure Ray was one of my favorite bands when I was in college. I could not get enough. Their voices were so gentle and soothing and in harmony. I would just lay in my bed with the curtains drawn and listen to their albums. So good. And our Portland native, White Hinterland sings in French. So it should be a good show. It will cost you $13-15 and starts at 9 PM.

Ghost Realm is having a show with Reporter, World's Greatest Ghost, Yeah Great Fine, and Skip Roxy. House Show Ho! WGG is one of the better bands in Portland. I cannot wait for their next release to come out. I still listen to their debut quite frequently. It is very good summer music. If you are thinking about making a "summer mix" I highly suggest you include some of this bands tunes. Plus Reporter is always. I only saw Yeah Great Fine once, but it was good. And truthfully I have not heard Roxy Poxy, but because of the quality of the other three bands, it hardly matters. There is a $3 cover. The ALL AGES show starts at 7 PM.

So if you see me at any of these shows, let a guy know. Say "Hi". I will then know that you have spotted me. I will let you know by acknowledging you greeting with a similar greeting. Perhaps a "Hello".

-Ben

Ryland Bouchard - Golden You - A Take Away Show from La Blogotheque on Vimeo.


Ryan Bouchard will play indoors tonight at the Artistery

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the social is a blog that covers indie music, fashion, food, drink and culture. don't be shy, check them out on facebook... http://www.facebook.com/pages/the-social/100520302589