Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for July 29th

Hello Dear Readers,

It is soooo hot. Here are the shows for today.

Wednesday, July 29th

Berbati's is having the last Wednesday Restaurant Residency with Nucular Aminals. I missed their set at PDX Pop Now!, but I heard that it was pretty good. This is kind of like the festival. I mean except that it is not all ages. And there is only one other band, in this case Forever. And it is uhh...well, I guess it isn't as much like it as I initially thought. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Chaos Cafe is having a show with Pardee Shorts, Glass Teeth, Fire in a Crowded Theatre (Yakima, WA), and Tyler Freeman. The recordings on Pardee Shorts myspace sound live and truthfully kinda awful. But the actual songs sound kinda awesome. I would love to hear them live with out the crushing distortion of a mic that is too hot. I have been told that I need to see Glass Teeth for a while. I think I finally might, I mean I do like what I have heard. The ALL AGES show is $3 and starts at 8 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show Soft Tags , Massive Moth, and Hello Electric. Soft Tags is a band that I have been meaning to check out. I like their latest album. It is a good balance of pop and cool guitar stuff. Also Hello Electric makes rock music with programmed drums. You should really check out the videos they have posted on their myspace page. They are hilarious. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Gregory Miles Harris, The Happy Prescriptions, Hypnogogue and Rian O'Hara. Gregory is one of Portland's best kept Portland pop secrects. His songs are really good. It seems that only Daniel Johnston knows what's up (Daniel has him open when ever he play Portland). His friend Rian writes pretty cute songs check it out. The other bands seem very reverby especially Hypnogogue. The show is $2-$5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

The Aladdin is having a show with The Ditty Bops (LA) and Firs of Prey. The Ditty Bops are are two gals singing in beautiful harmony backed a by a variety of acoustic instruments. I am pretty sure they did one of the tours by bicycle tours like Portland's own Blind Pilot. But I am listening thsi show because of Andrew Miller aka Firs of Prey who's music is so good. His recorded music reminds me of classic mid period Beatles ala the Elephant six, but I have seen some videos of him play and it is much more. He uses his looping pedal to make gorgeous harmonies and it is so cool. The ALL AGES show is a pricey $20 and starts at 8 PM.

So if you see me say "HI'. Just Sayin'.

-Ben

Nucular Animals @ PPN Day 2 from localcut on Vimeo.



They play tonight at Berbati's for FREE.

No comments: