Saturday, August 1, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for August 1st

Hello Dear Readers,

S A T U R DAY NIGHT! Party! Ahem... I meant to say there are some shows. This is what they are.

Saturday, August 1st

Backspace is having a show with Atole, Jeffrey Jerusalem, Pan de Sal (Las Vegas), Kid Meets Cougar and E*Rock. I like dance music sometimes. Especially when it is fun and not totally dumb. I think that most of the bands playing this thing could fall into the "fun and not totally dumb" category, if that were a category of dance music (which it should be). I danced my ass off when Jeffrey Jerusalem played at PDX pop this year. It was so fun. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Bowerbirds (Raleigh, NC), Megafaun(Durham, NC), and Run On Sentence. This is a high quality "folk" show. I guess North Carolina has a lot of that going on. I guess we do to. Whatevs. I was talking to Aaron of Nurses and he said I would probably like his label mates Bowerbirds. I just might. And apparently the people in Megafaun used to be in a band with that Bon Iver guy. They split and he got really famous, while they are still on the up and up. Ron On Sentence is pretty rad. I have only seen him play once but it was pretty rad. The dud lives out in the country with not much to do but get good at his music (or something like that. is that waht I heard? I don't know). Regardless, I like his stuff. The show is $10 to $12 and starts at 9 PM.

Berbati's is having the final day of First Fest: Purple Rhinestone Eagle, The Morals, Hawkeye, Yeah Great Fine, No Kind of Rider and Skip Roxy. I love The Morals. I also love all Portland billed festivals. Check it out. The show is $5 and starts at 8 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Nick Jaina and Graves. Both of these bands kill it. Especially Nick Jaina's band. No offense to Graves but they are all smooth and easy going, whereas Nick can rock it up a bit at times. The show is $8 and starts at 8 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Ribbons, Chrome Wings and Slaves. I writeabout this show because I still haven't seen Chrome Wings. Plus I have heard a lot of good things about Slaves (the band, I am not into slavery otherwise). The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Blue Cranes will be playing a secret (whoops!) show at the Hawthorne food carts (SE 12th and Hawthorne). Their collaborative set was my favorite performance of PDX Pop. Just saying. The carts are always so much fun. I did karaoke there las Wednesday. It seem like there is always something happening at that spot. It is ALL AGES FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see Ben Meyercord at any of these say "Hi".

-Ben


Run On Sentence will do this at Mississippi Studios tonight.

No comments: