Friday, April 2, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday April 2nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday was a crazy day for me that involved the assist in arresting two heroin addicts who also were some of the biggest guys in ID theft in Portland. It did not, however, include me making a blog post. Which is a bummer considering I had all of the hard part done (picking the shows and getting all of their links). Also it meant me staying at work late writing a big ass report. Which made me very sleepy. I was in bed by nine, no joke. Anyway I will definitely be out tonight. Check it:

Friday, April 2nd

Mudai Lounge is having a show with Meyercord, The Sarcastic Dharma Society, and Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond. If you do some research on Mudai Lounge you find that it is not a traditional venue, but rather an Ethiopian restaurant. A good one I hear. "Great Ethiopian food, the ambiance is lacking, but how fancy can you expect to get when you're eating with your hands?" is what mnymarkf777 had to say about the place. Well tonight I plan on making the ambiance a little less lacking. How do I plan on doing this? I think you know. I mean the cat is already out of the bag. I already mentioned that there will be a show. Some of the readers may have already made the connection between my name, Ben Meyercord, and the first band listed, Meyercord. Yes, it is a band that I front. yes, I am listing the show first. Yes, I am biased. Yes, I am friends with the other acts playing. Yes, I think that they are some of the best songwriters in Portland. yes, I know how to start a sentence with out a "yes". No, I do not want to. Whoops. Anyway, I am very happy to be playing a show with my band mates who will man the upright bass and clarinet respectively. They will also add some vocals here and there as well as a sprkle of glockenspiel. The Sarcastic Dharma Society and Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond are essentially the same band. And by band I mean Mat Vuksinich and ummm...Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond (or as we call him "Fin"). They are a perfect match musically and have created a very cool set up of one person playing electric guitar and singing while the other person mans a bass drum, floor tom, glockenspiel and Rhodes piano and singing back ups (often an impressive combination of these instruments). I personally have not seen them play with this set up as it is relatively new. But I bet it is good. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Nick Jaina, Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, and Future Historians. This is a CD release show for Mr. Jaina and his band. The new album is called "A Bird In The Opera House". Unlike his last album, this one was more of a studio effort. You may recall the last was famously recorded live. This one was carefully crafted over the last year or so. I have not heard it, but I have heard that it is good. Plus I think Nick always assembles a top notch band. You should catch him now before he and his crew head out on the road for about a month. Also I cannot say enough great things about Sally Ford and her excellent band, The Sound Outside. The only thing I wish is that they had another release to quench my retro-pop desires. I have never seen Future Historians. But I have listened to their tunes online. It was a pleasurable experience that most likely is comparable to the live experience (which I, again, have not experienced). Check them out for me. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

The World Famous Kenton Club is having a show with White Fang, Million Brazillions, and Droni Mitchell. A mere week ago or so I was on tour in California and we actually had a show booked with White Fang. I was totally stoked because I hadn't seen them in a long time. But then the band took longer than we thought to eat and I ended up missing their set. I felt like such a dick. I am sorry White Fang. I really do enjoy your artful punk musical endeavors. I will miss you again tonight. Sorry. Million Brazillions is a band that actually did a pretty good job classifying themselves as psychedelic, trance, and punk. It is not easy to wrap you brain around, but kinda cool once you do. Droni Mitchell is also a trancy psychedelic drone laced band. I think they played earlier this week, so if you missed them you have another chance to see them. The show is probably FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Artistery is having a show with Dopesmoker, Cower, Hexenkrieg, and Aapoaa. I like many people in this town like all kinds of music. One type of music that I honestly don't see enough of is heavy music. That is because personally I don't often get in the mood to see loud and heavy music. But it is shows like this one that make me glad that I live in a town that has some good, if few, heavy bands. So if you have a hankering to damage you ears and see some good gear, because let's face facts: heavy bands always have good gear,then this is the show for you. I remember seeing Cower at PDX Pop Now! a few years back and being amazed that there was a) that kind of band in Portland and b) that I had not heard of them. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Car Hole Gallery is having a show with Stag Bitten, Meth Teeth, and Guantanamo Baywatch. Car Hole (also a less fancy terminology for a garage) is probably a house venue. I gather this because a) I have never heard of the Car Hole b) I found this show on Pc-PDX.com a site that shows lots of house shows and c) all of these bands thrive in the house show setting. I have never seen Stag Bitten, but I have heard they are thrash? Punk? Thrash punk?. Whatever they are, they are too punk to have any sort of social networking page. Meeth Teeth occupies the lo-fi space between punk and acoustic music without being a terrible folk punk band. Guantanamo Baywatch remains one of my favorite neo surf punk bands that I have not seen. I will catch them one day. I swear it. Until then, you should see them for me. The ALL AGES show is by donation at 9 PM.

Gresham Skate World is having a show with Hornet Leg, Orca Team, and Don Hellions. Gresham Skate World is exactly what you would expect. A freakin' skating rink. Yes y'all, you are invited to roller skate or, if you want, Rollerblade while hip local bands play. Well almost local. I mean they are from Portland. I don't know of any bands from Gresham off the top of my head. I like the descriptions that GSW (Gresham Skate World) put up so much I am going to straight up copy and paste them right here in this post. They list Orca Team (my other favorite neo surf type band that I have not seen) as "a simple minimalistic surf pop band". They describe Don Hellions as a "Motown/neo soul group". They describe Hornet Leg as a "garage rock/soul band". So if these descriptions appeal to you, you finally have a reason to head out to Gresham. But I probably had your attention at the words Skate World, didn't I? The ALL AGES show is $6.75 and starts at 6:30 PM.

If you see me at the Mudai Lounge please say "Hi". I will dedicate a slow jam to you.

-Ben



See these two guys play a show with me tonight at Mudai Lounge tonight. It's FREE.

No comments: