Sunday, April 4, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, April 4th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played at Press Club in Sean Flinn & The Royal We and Y La Bamba. it was super fun. The thing about Press Club is that as far as venues go it is on the smaller. Which means it is easy to fill. When the room is filled with people it makes us play better. I think. At least makes me feels better when there a bunch of people in the audience. There were plenty of them. Anyways here are some very fine looking shows happening tonight:

Sunday, April 4th


Holocene is having a show with Dat'r, Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt, The Shakes, and Reverse Dotty. I don't Know if you have heard Dat'r or not but they are pretty dope. I mean if you like beats and dancing and innovative uses of play station controllers. Seriously these guys know what they are doing. And they are creating quality dance tracks infused with some electro funk. I am not sure where Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt is from but I know that it seems like the revolution is a guy who dresses up in a stuffed animal jacket. Like it is made out of smaller stuffed animals. I know that the revolution also has quite a light show. So many strobes. So many colors. Reverse Dotty is an electro pop group that has been around town for quite some time. They also incorporate a lot of live instruments and mix in a lot of different kind of sounds. They vocals are switched off between the font woman and sometimes the front man. The show is $8 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Ducketts Public House is having a show with Duck Little Brother Duck, Slow Trucks, Hot Damn, and On the Tundra. Duck. Little Brother, Duck are awesome. They are a set of very skilled musicians. They make rock music that is in the guitar heavy math pop vein. I just love 'em to death. They have been recording recently for one of the most anticipated albums of the year. By me anyways. Slow Trucks is very different and makes simple and yet good acoustic music. This a very hard feat to accomplish as most of the time if you have a guy with an acoustic guitar you have yourself the ingredients of a boring time. Hot Damn is the new band of Maggie Morris. She used to to live in California and I guess lives here now. I saw her a while back and Typhoon acted as her backing band and it was awesome. I like here songs. I have the CD that Boy Gorilla put out. I imagine that there are now permanent members outside of Maggie, but it appears she has some talented friends to help her out. I know because I used to run an open mic. On the Tundra is probably the only instrumental rock band in Eugene. They seem to lean toward long jammy passages but then kinda snap back into more organized parts. I am not sure what to think of them yet. The show is FREE is 9 PM.

Mississippi Pizza is having a show with My Dads and Lee Corey Oswald. My Dads is a band that I thought showed a lot of promise last time I saw them They are an instrumental rock band. They are a bit more on the chill side and stand out in my mind due to their nice incorporation of the trumpet. But when I saw them last they used a touch too much chorus for my tastes. If you are not afraid of chorus though, you should totally check out this band. Lee Corey Oswald is a folk duo made up of Corey Ciresi and Lee Ellis. They have a good sense of harmony and structure. I guess if pressed I would say that they are a bit softer or at least more accessible form of folk punk. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Rontoms is having a show with The Woolen Men, XDS, and Nucular Aminals. The Woolen Men make dirty sounding indie rock. Nucular Aminals sound like a band that is just full of catchy pop hooks that are used very liberally though out their songs. I like what they do. XDS make crazy music created by a wildly inventive duo. The guitarist probably has more pedals and effects than they other two bands combined and he makes good use of them constantly changing the tone two make it appear that he is playing more than one instrument. They drummer on the other hand sometimes actually plays more than one instrument, They both sing. The closest I can come to having a comparable band would have to be Deerhoof. They are awesome. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I will return the favor

-Ben


Dat'r is going to Holocene tonight to get down.

No comments: