Saturday, April 3, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, March 3rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played at Madai Lounge with The Sarcastic Dharma Society and Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond. It was really good. It was the first time that I had seen their new set up with the added bass drum and Rhodes. The arrangements of the music were simple but very effective and very very impressive considering that it was played by two people. Both bands are the same two people. One on guitar and vocals and the other plays the drums Rhodes and glockenspiel (often at the same time). I heard a grip of new songs from the two. I loved it. Then I played, not to badly. I felt pretty good about it. Anyways, here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Saturday, April 3rd

The Press Club is having a show with Y La Bamba and Sean Flinn & The Royal We. Both of these bands are comprised of the same seven people. We all recently got back from a ten day tour together. So we are excited to show off how tight we have gotten. I play bass and sing in both of these groups. I love them both dearly. Y La Bamba is a folk pop band with a lot of vocal arrangements. Sean Flinn writes really great melodies and has the same group that comes up with the vocal arrangements of Y La Bamba. The show is FREE and starts at 8;30 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Anias Mitchell (Montpelier, VT), Jeffrey Foucault, and Kele Goodwin. I am not too familiar with Anais Mitchell but her music seems peculiar. There are parts Tom Waits part other. She often collaborates with some dude that layers his vocals like beck. Not really my thing. I guess I am mostly writing about this show because of Kele Goodwin. He has been around making his gentle minimalistic folk music. I have his first ep that he used to give out at his shows. It sounds great. I used to compare him to Nick Drake a lot. That is a good starting point for his sound, but he is no carbon copy. He has spent the last couple of years recording with members of Musee Mecanique. I can't wait to get a copy once it is done. His song " A Kiss for Your Eyes" is one of my favorites. He rarely plays so if you like you hear of his myspace you should totally check out this show. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Hosannas, The Swifts, and Kittin. I think I have finally gotten used to calling the band Hosannas by their name. I love them to death. Their moody and dynamic and at times bombastic songs do it for me every time. They seem to be constantly tweaking their arrangements. I heard that they have recently spent some time in the studio. Also their first couple eps will be re-released next month. I think 2010 will treat these guys well. I don't know nothing bout the other bands, but seriously it doesn't matter. Hossanas is bomb. The ALL AGES show is at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Run On Sentence, Super XX Man, and John Vecchiarelli. If you have not seen Run On Sentence, I suggest that you go see this show. I have only seen him a handful of times, but when he had his full band it is huge. The songs sound epic due in large to the size of front man Dustin Hammond's voice. It is strong. Super XX Man is a favorite of mine since my Texas Days. I think he will have a band with him tonight. I have only seen him play solo since I have moved to Portland. His songs sound sweet again due in large part to the lead singer, in this case Scott Garred. John Vecchairelli is mostly know as nice guy and drummer for many including time drummer for the other two bands playing. I have had the pleasure of playing a show with John Before. It is nice to see a person who knows his craft. The show is being put on by KZME. I am not sure what that means. But they seem to put on good shows. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Surfer Blood (West Palm Beach , FL), Turbo Fruits (Nashville, TN), and Dirty Mittens. Surfer Blood is one of those new fangled reverb drenched bands that has reached very high levels of popularity in a very short period of time. I think their songs are catchy and good and I see why they are popular. They are good at what they do. Hell I guess I will admit that I like it. I have never heard of Turbo Fruit, but they are on tour with Surfer Blood. They have a tinge of surf rock to their energetic indie pop rock. It would probably be cool to see. Then there is the home town neo soul pop group sensations Dirty Mittens. I really can get down with what they do. There is sax and guitar solos and lots of tamborine. I love it. I think they have an album on the verge of being released (a lot of local bands do right now). Come see if you can recognize songs you don't recognize (ie new songs). The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Cherry Sprout Market is having a show with Evolutionary Jass Band, Cexfucx, and Midnight Snacks ( Larry Yes and Kevin Michael Mayfield). There is also an art show comprised of the employees of Cherry Sprout. Or you can just get your fresh produce. Let me break it down like this: Evolutionary Jass band are amazing. There done. Just see them or at least do your self the favor of checking them out online. They are really good at what they do. Which is jazz based and expands into its own thing. Cexfucx is another huge jazz based freak out band. I never seen them but I know they can't pretty far out their based on the live recordings they have in their myspace. I love it. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

The Waypost is having a show withLove Menu, Leonard Mynx, and The Shivas. Do you want to keep it folky in the NE? Then this is the show for you. I used to see Love Menu when she had a full band. Emily Katz would switch between a guitar and her autoharp. She doesn't play too often and never plays ALL AGES. So kids now is your chance. Leonard Mynx is Portland's Dylan. I think that is a good summary. I mean he is very wordy and often changes things up musically. Going back and forth between electric and acoustic. But is always about the songs. They are usually pretty sad as hell. But who doesn't enjoy a good sad song? I have not seen the Shivas in a long time, but apparently they are just coming off a tour and will be playing a special acoustic show. Should be good. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at the Press Club shows please say, "Hi". I will be sporting a beard and converse.

-Ben


Run On Sentence will tear it up at Mississippi Studios tonight.

No comments: