Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music for Wednesday March 31st

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I ended up being to tired to go to a show. I actually went to bed pretty early after recording a podcast thing that lasted longer than I had anticipated. But man there are a lot of great shows going on tonight. These are the shows I want to check out:

Wednesday, March 31th

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with And And And, Archers, The Charts, and Total Bros. I have played a show with And And And and I they reminded me of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. At least the guys vocals did. They are pretty good. I can see good things for them. The Archers are a rock band. Not too shabby. The Charts only have live tracks on their myspace. It is kinda hard to tell what they sound like. Total Bros is an awesome and crazy band. Very hyperactive and fun. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Holocene is having something called called My Favorite Things. This is a multimedia event curated by Sam Adams. What did he pick? Soft Tags, Rev. Shines and DJ Hwy 7. There will also be a screening of the latest of the W+K series Don't Move Here. This episode features Holocene. Sam Adams has pretty good taste. I have written several times a bout Soft Tags. Who knows? Maybe Sam reads the blog (hi Sam). Anyways, I read that all of the proceeds will benefit: CAN (Creative Advocacy Network) and Right Brain Initiative. The show is $5-$15 at 8 PM.

Ducketts Public House is having a show with Hornet Leg, Agatha (Seattle), and Orca Team. Hornet Leg is a band that I have never seen but have heard evolve over the years. They currently, at least judging by the music they have posted, reminded me of the Velvet Underground. They used to be more punk. Whatevs. I think they sound better now. Agatha is kinda of a louder rock band from Seattle. They kinda seem to be in the ballpark of a Blood Brothers type band or something. Then there is Orca Team. They are great. They have had a bit of trouble lately but they are still musically on target. They have a sense of pop that is greater than most bands will ever have. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Rotture is having a show with Wax Fingers, Yeah Great Fine, and Duck Little Brother Duck. I like these bands a lot. Wax Fingers are an innovative pop band. I have not seen them but I really want to. Check them out. Yeah Great Fine is also a...wait.. all of these bands are innovative pop bands. Yeah Great Fine mixes mathy stuff and some electronics. Duck Little Brother Duck is a mathy type band too. I love them. You need to see them. The show is $5 and starts at 9M.

Doug Fir is having a show with World's Greatest Ghosts, Tempo No Tempo, and Monarques. Funny story. The other day I was in Ashland playing a show with Y La Bamba. There was a guy who was at the show. A friend of one of Luzelena's brother was there. I asked him how often he went to shows. He let me know not very many. He did say that he had seem an indie band a few weeks back. World's Greatest Ghost. I told him that I had just been listening to them in the van ride to the show. He was like... "Yeah I am not sure about that band. They were kinda weird. They had a song about a Tyranasaurus...". He did not seem like a music fan. But I can assure you that they are really great. I love them. Keyboards, guitars, dinosuars, they got it all. Tempo No Tempo is a band from the bay that sounds really good. They kinda have a Les Savy Fav vibe to them (Rock with drumming that makes you want to dance?). Which is to say really cool angular guitar type stuff mixed with a really tight rhythm section. Monarques take it back to when pop was pure. They last time I saw them was on Valentine's and they covered a bunch of oldies tunes. They were the perfect band for that considering I feel like that is the ascetic they seem to be shooting for. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I like to say it, maybe you will to?

-Ben


Wax Fingers play at Rotture tonight. Possible with more light.

No comments: