Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, March 21st

Hello Dear Readers,

As I thought, I did not get out to any shows last night. I practiced until like 1:30 am. I Then I could sleep until late. Oh well. I am actually still pretty tired. But it is so nice out so I might actually leave the house. But in a unrelated note, here are the shows that look good tonight:

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Jared Miles, Mike Midlo (Pancake Breakfast), and Ezza Rose. I have not seen Jaread Miles play before, but I met him once. There is a certain circle of Americana kind of bands and peole that seem to run in the same circle. I listened to his songs and they sound good. Mike Midlo has done well for himself with his pancake Breakfast band. It has a line up that includes several singers and other instrumentation, but it is Mike that is the heart of the band. So I guess tonight you will just see the heart. Do you really need anything else? Ezza Rose has a lovely voice and people often have her sing with her. I know that she sometimes sings with Jared. But her songs are good themselves. She only has one on her myspace, but trust me. I have seen here before and they are good. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Berbati's is having a show with Wishyunu and Dropa. The is another show in Wishyunu's residency at Berbati's. I still have not seen them but I like what I heard. Their music falls into the dream pop camp. In their recordings the duo layers Bei's vocals and a mess of keyboards and drums with the occasional guitar here and there to create a warm and inviting sound. They only have a couple of these free residency shows left. catch them for free while you can. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with Blue Giant. You may know Blue Giant as Viva Voce and friends. Because essentially that is what it is. They have a new record and will probably be busting out some of that new material tonight. Kevin and Anita are very talented in whatever they do. I mean in Viva Voce, Blue Giant, The Robinsons they do it all (with a little help from their friends). Plus in addition to recording themselves, Kevin has recorded other bands as well. Like Red Fang. Sweet. Any way, I guess they have a residency thing this month at Laurelthirst. They remind me of Beachwood Sparks. If you are familiar with that band, you will know what I mean. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi". Or just stare me down and I might be the first one to say it.
-Ben


Blue Giant Plays for FREE at Laurelthirst this evening. Don't miss it.

No comments: