Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, April 29th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am going out of town for a few days. So the shows I list tonight, I will be unable to attend. Please please please go to them for me. They look pretty darned good. See:

The Cleaners at The Ace Hotel are putting on what is obviously the biggest local show tonight (I think that the Jandek and Thurston Moore thing might be bigger?). They are having the annual Make it Pop! which is the musical fund raiser for PDX Pop Now!. This year they have Colin Meloy (that dude from The Decemberists), The Alialujah Choir, Ah Holly Fam'ly, and Musee Mecanique. DJ Jeremy Peterson of OPB Music will also be spinning. All of these acts are really good. Colin Meloy can handle his own. I have seen him solo and it was great. Plus because most of the newer Decemberists is very big and band oriented. Which means that he will be forced to be play the old hits. The Alialujah Choir is a super group with Adam Shearer of Weinland, Adam Selzer of Norfolk & Western, and Alia Farah (studio musician extrodinaire). They sound like very choral versions of those bands that the collective Adam's are in. Mussee Mecanique is great. They kinda have the feel of a folky Blonde Redhead. Or something like that. So great. The ticket on this thing is pricey but considering how free the PDX Pop Now! festival is, I am thinking is it is not so bad. Plus I heard there will be cupcakes. Cupcakes! The ALL AGES show is $35 and starts at 6:30 PM.

Holocene is having a show with Eluvium, Grouper , and DJ Yeti. Eluvium is one of my favorite things to listening to when I want to just totally chill out. The music is just beautiful. I know that he has a new album out and in all honesty, I have not listened to it, but apparently he sings on it. Crazy. He normally makes piano and pretty post rock guitar soundscapes. This should be an interesting change. It is the tour kick off show and has brought along another Portland nontraditional spacey singer in Grouper. Grouper is folk music buried underneath several layers of heavily effected looped guitar lines. DJ Yeti is Mike McGonigal the publisher of the awesome Yeti magazine or quarterly or whatever the hell it is. He has really good taste. The show is $10 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Hawthorne Theater is having a show with Liars, Fol Chen (Highland Park, CA), and Tu Fawning. Liars are one of those bands that is constantly changing and challenging themselves. On their latest offering they have some very strong grooves and spaced out sounds combined in a really nice juxtaposition. Hard to imagine they came out of the disco punk thing. Fol Chen is a very fresh sounding pop band that makes really good music that also has a strong sense of groove that is missing in a lot pop music. I have not seen Tu Fawning recently, but I have heard that they are something to behold. I really am a big fan of 31 Knots and liked what I heard of Corrina Repp's solo stuff. This band sounds like neither. But it is good. The ALL AGES show is $14 and starts at 9 PM.

You will not see me at these shows, DO NOT say "Hi",

-Ben


Musee Mecanique play Make it Pop! tonight at The Cleaners at Ace Hotel.

No comments: