Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, April 22nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Did you guys go out last night? Cause I did not. Sham on me. At around 10 after a back to back practice, I was done. But there is always a chance that tonight things could change and I might put my money where my mouth is (ie see a show). Here is what is happening tonight:

The Artistery is having a show with New Century Schoolbook, Wow & Flutter, and Paper Brain. New Century Schoolbook is a indie-pop band. A good one at that. And what does any self respecting indie-pop band do? Put out a 7". Duh. Well they have arrived. Tonight is a celebration of their entry into the world of vinyl as they are releasing their first 7" called "The Happy Detective". Congrats to CIMTB contributor Amber Dawn (also in NCS). Go see her tonight. Wow & Flutter have been around forever and make dependable indie rock. Also Paper Brain is also pretty catchy. Just Sayin'. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 7:30 PM.

Holocene is having a show with XDS, Brainstorm, and Total Bros. "Hooray for interesting and progressive pop music!" If that is something that you think might enjoy saying, then I suggest you head out to Holocene tonight. You will finds loads of it there tonight. XDS (Experimental Dental School) push the boundaries of what a duo is capable of. Or at least what one guitar can do when run through several amps and cabs and even more effects. The dude has not one, but two huge pedal boards. It is nuts. Brainstorm is also a duo. I not seen them yet but I am really into what I have heard. You should hear how cool their song "Battling Giants" is. Tuba! Total Bros is another band I find myself writing about a lot. They are other-punk. Or something. Something I like. There will also be a VJ or at least some video art created by Deep Leap Microcinema. The show is $3 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Egyptian Room is having a show with 18 Individual Eyes (Seattle), Orca Team, and Best Supporting Actress. 18 Individual Eyes are a band that I have not heard before. It kind of reminded me of Denali. Kind of. I am mostly writing about this show because of Orca Team, the amazing pop band that I have not seen yet. I am so dumb for not seeing them yet. I really want to get a recording of theirs. I hear that they have a tape available at shows. God, I really need to get to one of those shows. Best Supporting Actress is a band I have not heard from in a while I remember that they used to play Valentine's all the time. They are noisy and have some crazy sounding vocals heavy with effects and some keyboards and guitars and umm...it sounds awesome. But then sometimes sounds super poppy. Crazy and awesome. Crawesome? The show might have a and Starts at 8 PM.

The Knife Shop is having a show with , Wax Edison, Hearts & Minutes, and Papper Upper Cuts. Mr. Fredrick's music peculiar. It is sometimes nice and poppy and then sometimes crazy and heavy. It reminds me a bit of Mr. Bungle in that way. Anyway it is pretty rad. Hearts and Minutes is a band that spans from Here to LA. The sound like a post rock band with vocals. Is that what a shoegaze band is? Papper Upper Cuts is the one and only David "Pappi" Fimbres. He sometimes has folks helping him out but can handle things on his own with the use of all his gear which includes some looping technology and keyboards and such along which his drum set. I think of him more as a drummer despite his apparent ability to hold down other instruments. The music is really cool instrumental grooves with some insane sounding synths atop the sick beats. The show is $4 and starts at 9 PM.

Ash Street Saloon is having a show with , Hello Constable, and Ed Thanhouser. Woah. It is pretty ballsy to have the first song on your myspace player be a Radiohead cover. Luckily it is not god awful. It is weird that it is the only song of theirs that is not recorded live. After giving them a listen I have ascertained that it is "not my cup o' tea. I dislike the acoustic guitar tone and...well it is just not my cup o' tea. Hello Constable is another band that only has live tracks (or I guess only one live track). The reason I am writing about this show is Ed Thanhouser. The reason I am writing about him is the band I saw him in before called Winterhaven. Plus his songs are pretty feakin' good. That is, if you like countryish songs (and I do). If I am to believe everything I read on the Internet he has a band called The Red Reds. The show is $6 and starts at 9:30 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi". It is the decent thing to do.

-Ben


XDS play at Holocene tonight!

No comments: