Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, March 17th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last I am about to leave you guys for a bit. Okay? Stop. Stop it. Dry your sweet little eyes. I am off to play bass in Y La Bamba and Sean Flinn & The Royal We in the land of California. I will be back in about ten days. Until then you will have to put up with the posts of the other bloggers (the ones that can actually write). If you want to know about shows I find the easiest site besides my own is PC-PDX. Here are the shows that look 'aight to me tonight:

Wednesday, March 17th

Holocene is having a show with DoublePlusGood, Ocean Age, and Hooliganship. This show will be awesome. Fist of all I really like the happy electronic pop that DoublePlusGood makes. They are releasing a remix ep tonight called Heart Drive Crash Vol1. It is said to have 4 remixes of songs from their forthcoming album and a remix of an Eskimo and Sons song. I always think it is weird to release remixes of unreleased material, but I bet it is good though. I have been jamming on that remix of Eskimo and Sons since way back when you could download songs off of myspace for free. I like it a lot. Ocean Age is another band I really like a lot. I bought their first ep a while back just based on a friends orders. I had missed their set at a Church show at Rontoms. I really like what I had and have since seen them a couple times. They have a good mix of acoustic, electric and synthetic. They have the only other Q-chord I have seen in Portland. Hooligan Ship is a band I only saw once at PDX Pop Now a few years ago. It was a multimedia experience for sure. They had animated versions of them selves projected while they played and I think most of it was in 3D beating the whole 3D craze by a few years. Their music is also happy and electronic based. A good match for this line up. The show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with The Skinnyz, Tango Alpha Tango, and Keli Schaefer. Acoording to their myspace, The Skinnyz "play straight up, seventies power-pop rock and roll, taking an up all night, foot stomping, ever living, never stopping, booze fueled approach to making music." I saw them once at Rontoms and cannot make an argument against that statement. Tango Alpha Tango is a band that I have seen a couple times but sadly I cannot recall their sets. Their myspace songs seem nice enough, but I just can't remember what they are like live. Kelli Schaefer is the reason I am writing about this show. She is pro. Her voice is incredible, her songs are incredible, her performances are incredible. I have a copy of her first ep and it is great. I have been meaning to get the two digital singles that she has on her new incredible label amigo/amiga. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at either of these shows please say, "Hi". It may the last chance you get. Sometimes people go to California and don't come back.

-Ben


Come join this lone dancer tonight at Holocene when DoublePlusGood jams it out.

No comments: