Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, March 7th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played at The Knife Shop in AristeiA. It was the first time I have been in it since the new stage and sound system was installed. I was impressed. I thought we played well we were followed by a Clap Your Hands Say Yeah like band called And And And. Then came Thuggage who were actually really good. And way more entertaining than I thought they were going to be. I suggest that if you are into comedy or hip hop you check these guys out. Here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Sunday, March 7th


Burgerville (12th and Hawthorne) is having a show with Wampire and White Fang. This is the tour kick off. I think both of these bands are great. Wapmire make dance music that is chill and catchy as hell. White Fang makes the party punk music that I am sure other parts of the country will catch on soon enough. The cool thing is that Y La Bamba will be meeting them for the show in Dan Diego. I am stoked. I also haven't seen a show at The Burgerville yet. I bet it is cool, or really awkward. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Holocene is having a show with Explode into Colors and Janet Pants. This is also a tour kick off show. Explode into Colors is a good band. They make cool sounding songs based on the tight rhythm section. There is a lot of percussion in this band. Not only are they going on a tour to SXSW, but the first several dates are with Quasi. How cool is that? Also they want you to make them a mixtape, "Explode Into Colors are going on tour - and they need your HELP! Endless hours in the van need musical accompaniment! Bring a mixtape (yes, that means a good ol’, real-deal cassette) for the girls and you’ll get FREE entry into the show! Explode into Colors also went Into the Woods recently, and we’ll be screening the results tonight!" Oh right, the In To The Woods thing will be screened. Janet Pants does modern dance pieces. Those people do really good work. The show is $5 (unless you and starts at 8:30 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Ora Cogan (B.C.), Bird Costumes, Chelsea Wolfe (CA), and Galveston. I have seen Ora Cogan play once. It was at Valentine's. It was good. She plays quiet nice folky tunes. I don't know what her Portland connection is, but I have seen her on several Portland bands top friends on myspace. Bird Costumes is one of them, and actually I think he played the show I saw. He, not unlike his friend Dragging an Ox through Water, seems to bridge the gap between folk and experimental music. Though he seems to separate the two. Performing a singing song followed by a built up drone piece and so on.Chelsea Wolfe is a person on tour from California. She makes experimental folk or rock music. Actually I don't know what to call it. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Timmy Straw, Lovers, Lost Lockets, and Gottesfinger. This is a record release for Timmy Straw. I have not heard her before, but man does she sound good. Right off the bat I am reminded of Cat Power. I think that if people will take notice of this release. She plays like a million instruments and produces and mixes her own music which sounds great. Lovers is what drew me to this show. Last year they released one of my favorite local releases, O Am The West. I cannot get over the perfect electro-pop song "Igloos for Ojos". Lost Lockets plays dark piano music backed by sting and banjo parts. Seriously though, I was really impressed by Timmy Straw. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

The Pink Room is having a show with Mattress, ASSS, Summer Blondes (Oakland), and Guantanamo Baywatch. House shows! Mattress is the project of Rex Marshal. he used to sing over tapes of electo he made. Now it has grown to include guitar and live drums. Let's face facts, everyone wants to be a rock star. ASSS is the duo that creates weird synth and drum based music. Summer Blondes are a great post-surf surf band. They are apparently buddies with Portland's own post-surf surf rock band Guantanamo Baywatch. What a match up. It will be rad. The show is by donation and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows say, "Hi".

-Ben

Feels Like Home Ep #3 - White Fang "Feeling Shitty" from Into The Woods on Vimeo.

From Singing in the shower to singing in Burgerville (tonight), these guys will play anywhere.

ps If you know Luzelena there is a B-Day show at her house.

No comments: