Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, March 3rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to The Woods and saw two bands that I have been wanting to see and one band that I wish I could see more of but will be unable to as they are disbanding. Alameda started the night with juxtaposition of singer songwriter and chamber music. Strangers Die Everyday was an instrumental group so I had no idea that they had a songwriter like Sterling in the fold. The came Black Heart Moon who I finally got to see with their violinist Emily. It was a really nice addition to the mix. They played wonderfully. It really is too bad they only have one more show. Pikara was pretty cool. I was surprised that they were based around the piano that night. I was expecting violin or maybe some acoustic guitar as that is what I had seen in videos before. It was good but they played a very short set.I was out of there before midnight crazy, but very good for me as I had a chance to catch up on sleep. There are some good shows tonight:

Wednesday, March 3rd

Roadside Attraction is having a show with Tragos Amargos and Sarah Winchester. Tragos Amargos is the confusing twin band of Y La Bamba wherein our buddy Paul Cameron joins us with his exceptional musical abilities and distinct voice. Sarah Winchester is probably best known as the female voice and drummer of A Weather, but she also writes and records songs as well. Last year she released an ep called "The Northeast Kingdom Demos". It is stark in its beauty. Think early Cat Power. I have seen her play a couple times and am won over every time. The show is FREE and starts at 9:30 PM.

Dunes is having a show with Cars and Trains and Big Spider's Back (Seattle). Let me just say this, I have the Cars and Trains album and I love it. It is a really good hodgepodge of hip hop folk and pop sensibilities. It would fit very nicely along with the Anticon crew. I have really liked Tom Fileep aka Cars and Trains since I first heard him a few years back. I have seen him play a few times too and enjoyed how you can see him building up his songs by creating loops in real time. His voice reminds me a bit of Owen from Casiotone for the Painfully Alone but a bit more musical. Big Black Spider makes the kind of blissed out psychedelic pop that would treat any Animal Collective fan right. The show is $ and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with On the Stairs, The Goodwill River, and Au Contraire. On the Stairs is the Nate Clark from many bands including another one he fronts called Les Flaneurs. This band however is more of a 70s inspired pop music. The Goodwill River is a folk band that I written about before. They have made a line up change since I last checked in (no more harmonica player). Au Contraiere is a band that I don't know much about. They have one song on myspace and and two photos. They have a kinda old timey sound. The one picture they posted is old timey (the other picture is a tagged photo). That is all I know. The show with $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Muddy Waters Coffee House is having show with Guantanamo Baywatch and Boom!. I really want to see Guantanamo Baywatch. I like the surf slash punk or whatever it is that they play. I can't find any thing on Boom!. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts

Rotture is having a show with No Kind of Rider, True Widow (Dallas), and Kowloon. New Kind of Rider is a band that i have not seen yet but i plan on changing that. They don't make your typical kind of Portland music. It isn't folk and it is not indie rock. They named themselves after a Of Montreal song (right guys, or is that a coincidence?) an like them play music that seems to be bigger than a lot of bands. It is filled with dramatic shifts and nice harmonies. God I am not really a writer you guys know this. True Window is a band that comes from my home town of Dallas, TX. THey play slower somewhat spacey loud rock music that has the melodic pop male and sometimes female vocals buried in it that make up the core of the band. Kowloon makes music that sounds like post-punk post-blues blues fronted the singer from The Vilolet Femmes. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at Roadside say, "Hi". I am the one playing the clav's.

-Ben


Sarah Winchester plays Roadside Attaction tonight. Wear your Nirvana Shirt.

No comments: