Monday, March 8, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, March 8th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played a house show at Luzelena's House in NE. It was way fun. I missed one of the performance but caught many others including a set by my friends Misty and Seth. They were just drowning in reverb and it sounded beautiful, their instrumentation was an electric guitar and and an organ with some minimal drums. The music was very very soothing. I want to see them again. Then Brothers young played an awesome set. They always remind me a bit of Beta Band. Then Y La Bamba played a crowded set. There are seven of us now and in order for us to play a house show it gets tricky, but I think we pulled it off. Anyway, I could only find one show I am interested in tonight:

Monday, March 8th

Valentine's is having a show with Pigeons, Secret Codes, and Paper Brain. Pigeons is a band that I have been meaning to see for quite some time. They make indie Americana with voice that quivers like early Bright Eyes. I like it. Then there is Secret Codes. I saw them once at the Woods and was very impressed. These songs were written by David Kyle who used to perform them solo via an ipod and lots of looping under the name David Kyle and The Invisibles. I much prefer the live band to the looping. It has a warmer feel and the players are all very good at what they do. What is it they do? They make pretty post rock music. Though it is mostly instrument-centric, David has told me that he is working on adding in vocals so it would not surprise me if there was a whole lot more singing this time around. I know that he is very influenced by Efterklang So I anticipate some group vocal arrangements. Paper Brain rounds out the bill with there excellent indie pop tunes. I have not seen them play in a long time, but listening to them just now made me wonder why. Check out the video that I posted below. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at this show say, "Hi". It is not a bad why to spend a second of your time.

-Ben


Paper Brain will be at Valentine's tonight. I am not sure that it will be as bloody as this video, but I have my fingers crossed.

No comments: