Monday, March 1, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, March 1st

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to Valentines and saw aan and Ages and Ages. I was so tired but I could not miss this show. Bud Wilson played a very very beautiful solo aan set. He is just as good by himself as with a band. I love him with a band, do not get me wrong. But it is also really cool to see him with his solo set up which features a whole lot of pedals and a a keyboard and a sampler and two amps and volumes pedals and a hollow body. His voice is an instrument as well and like a guitar he runs it through a few pedals mostly a looper or various reverb or delay pedals. There was this one moment when he had finished a song and just had birds chirping from his sampler that all of Valentine's was quiet. I had never heard the place so quiet. He also debuted a couple of tunes that sounded great. The aan album is coming out very soon. I cannot wait. Then Ages and Ages played a set that was fantastic. They had six people singing often in choir type parts like in a good way. A friend of mine said they were kinda like Crosby Stills and Nash. I never really listened to that particular band, but from my understanding it is a good thing. I personally was reminded of some of the later Belle & Sebastian stuff. Regardless they probably have the best harmonies in town. Tonight there are a couple of really cool shows:

Monday, march 1st

The Know is having a show with AristeiA, Westfold and Wild yaks (NY). Okay, I play bass in AristeiA. We kick ass, whatevs. If you like rock music with some balls and no annoying vocals you will probably like us. Anyway this show was originally booked as a show where all the bands are friends. Themes was set to play the show but took the er...theme to the next level when their friends from Brooklyn had a show fall through. Themes gave up their slot to their friends Wild Yaks. You may recognize the name because they played with The Woolen Men the other day. This is what one of my friends said about Wild Yaks, "They tore shit up last night!". A pretty positive review. Westfold is always make sure that stuff gets tore up. They are a fine rock band that gets me every time. There lyrics are smart and should leave you with something to think about after the music has subsided. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Israel Putnam El Americano, The Ocean Floor and Tree Sap Magazine release show. Tree Sap appears to celebrate were art and nature converge. The Ocean Floor, one of my favorites, have said that in honor of this, they will play a nature themed set. As long as they play their music, I guarantee you a good time. The other two acts seem to occupy a different spectrum of the music spectrum. They make experimental sometimes drone music. I like this. may you will too. I am sure they will have copies of the magazine to sell so bring at least $8. DJ Dewey Decibel will be spinning as well. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at the Know say, "Hi". I will dedicate a bass lick to you.

-Ben


This is how Westfold Played last time they played with AristeiA. See them do it again tonight at The Know.

No comments: