Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, March 13th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I was going to check out the show at Laughing Horse Books, but then right as I got out of Meyercord practice I got a call to be part a Ramona Falls music video. Looks like Luzelena and I will make cameos in the video. As people standing in an art gallery. I am a rockstar! Anyway here are some shows that look good to me:

Saturday, March 13th

The Woods is having a show with Beathe Owl Breathe and Seaan Flinn & The Royal We. I saw Breathe Owl Breathe at my friend Perry's house last year and was impressed with how fun it was. They get the audience involved. Their songs evoke the kind of fun you normally only get from being a kid. I usually play bass and sing in Sean Flinn & The Royal We. Due to scheduling conflicts, I have been unable to so lately. but luckily I can still sing which is what I plan on doing tonight. It has always been a dream of mine to do back up singing. I am not even joking so this is awesome for me. Sean's song's are great. Many of them have really cool vocal arrangements and a classic pop sensibility that is undeniable. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Efterklang (Denmark), Helios, and Dragging An Ox Through Water. Efterklang is an awesome band that really pushes it self musically. They make incredibly arranged almost chamber-esque music. They usually have two Portland members along in the form of Peter and Heather Broderick. Peter can't make it. But they still will no doubt be great. Helios is a guy who I heard about because he played some shows with Peter Broderick. He makes very pretty modern compositions. Not unlike what Peter does when he is not singing his folk tunes. Dragging an Ox Through Water is an amazing mix between folk and experimental noise bits. One of my favorites. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with The Prids, Brainstorm, and Wax Fingers. I keep wanting to see The Prids and keep missing them. They have been consistently making guitar centric indie rock music for years. They have won over many people but have managed to stay at the same level. Weird. Brainstorm is another band that I have been meaning to catch for some time they make an incredible mix of math rock and bizarre pop that is infectious. Wax Fingers is a band that I have written about before but have not seen yet. But the music I heard on myspace is so good. I suggest you check it out. Basically what I am saying is that this is a show that I would love to see to quench some of my curiosity. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Someday Lounge is having a show with Paschal Coeur, Ravishers, and Winterhaven. Paschal Coeur only has live tracks up on their myspace so if you are curious as to what they sound like you should check that out. If you want to know what I think, I would say that they are a pretty decent pop band. Ravishers surprised me, I had never heard of them but I really liked their songs. Very hooky. Winterhaven was a country folk band in the tradition of Graham Parsons (Winterhaven is the town Mr. Parsons was born). I am not sure what their line up will be tonight as I think there might have been a line up change. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

If you come out to The Woods tonight please say, "Hi". I am the male back up singer.

-Ben


Brainstorm will tuba the crap out of Mississippi Studios

No comments: