Friday, March 5, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, March 5th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to the Artistery. I missed Holy or Sweeping Exits or whatever and I regrettably only caught the last song of Kusikia (the song was awesome), but I made it. My arrival put me just in time to see Typhoon and Jared Mees & The Grown Children. Typhoon played the majority of their yet to be released amazing album Hunger and Thirst. I think they have stripped down their operation to the bare minimum of nine band members. They are one of the finest bands in Portland. They effortlessly combine elements of folk and heavy music and danceable grooves and gospel and probably other things as well. you must see this band. Then came Jared Mees and Co. who are are the road as I type this heading to SXSW. I love this band and was happy to be there for their tour kick off show. It was weird last night though because my voice was pretty much out of commission. I did not realize how often I sing along with that band until I kept trying and failing to do so. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that they had a tour ep with four songs that will be on the next record in a awesome silk screened stumptown case. You know I picked that one up. It was a good time. Speaking of which, here are some good times happening tonight:

Friday, March 5th

The Know is having a show with The Shaky Hands being filmed. Straight from their blog "If you live in the Portland area come see us this Thursday and Friday night at The Know (2026 Northeast Alberta Street). We are playing, recording and filming the sets. Opening the shows are Tanning (Jake solo), Nick Delffs (solo) and my new band Haunted K.O.A (Me, Nick and Alex Arrowsmith). Shameless self promotion? No, we just forgot to find an opening band and decided to do it our self." I obviously didn't go last night but here is another opportunity. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a benefit show for a new PA. There will be performances from Leonard Mynx, Mount Saint Elias, Lindsay Clark, Hoyt Emerson, Matt Brown, Soriah, Davis Hooker, Cole Moldy, Grand Junction Grand Therapy, Nathan Clark, John Veccaierelli, Rozendal, James McFarland, Steve Hefter, and Jarad Miles. Anyone who has every played Ella Street or The Town Lounge before it can attest. That it is a fun place to place but that the sound system is...questionable. Well, this looks like a great step forward in solving that problem. Plus it looks like an incredible line up. I have written about the majority of the people playing this event. They are all good, but there are too many to write about. I suggest clicking in some links. Or just think about what an awesome venue Ella Street would be with a new PA. The show is $5-$10 and starts at 9 PM.

Backspace is having a show with The Smith Westerns (Chicago), Eat Skull, and Blood Beach. All of these bands have recordings that are lo-fi as "F". The Smith Westerns seem to have the straight pop spectrum covered, I like it. Eat Skull are a bit weirder and also add some punky elements not that I would ever call them punk music. They sometimes add some acoustic guitar albeit distorted. And then Blood Beach is the weirdest. It is the new band from Tex Winters. It is folk music with psychedelic freak outs. The ALL AGES is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

The Artistery is having a show with His Name Shall Breathe, Decoro, Crooked Bars, and Thrusty. His Name Shall Breathe is awesome. He writes really good songs and plays guitar like he was ringing a bell. It is mostly really cool arpeggios. It is like Owen but perhaps even better. I cannot really vouch for any of the other bands. The show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Someday Lounge is having a show with Sexy Water Spiders (Port Townsend), Wampire, and Go Fever. This is the CD release for Sexy Water Spiders, a band that I have previously heard of. They seem to be a rock band. Like a classic southern rock band. Which is kinda of a weird mach for the chilled out dance rock music that Wampire play (which I totally love). Go Fever is one of the Dandy Warhols disciple bands. Which means they make music that makes you feel like you are on drugs. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows say, "Hi". We can talk about the weather or something.

-Ben


The Shaky Hands play The Know tonight. Get Filmed!

1 comment:

Eric Habermeyer said...

If you're looking for an interesting video, check out this one that just got posted from Olympia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?videos=IyryUq1WMTg&v=VfYumHVJWPg