Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, March 6th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I stayed home despite some good shows. I actually cleaned my room which has been on my to do list for about 3 months. I am actually quite proud of myself. Tonight there are an ass load of good shows (like a big ass load). Check it out.:

Saturday, March 6th

The Knife Shop is having a show with The Taste, Thuggage, and ArtisteiA. This is part of the Dirty Dirty Street Records showcase. This is something that AristeiA got last minute. I play bass in AristeiA, the instrumental rock group. I think we are pretty awesome. But then again, I am biased. Thuggage is a comedy rap group. But they apparently were musicians first. So they should be good. I couldn't find much on The Taste ie anything. But I am kinda glad I am playing tonight because there are so many amazing shows tonight. So I won't have to choose. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Burgerville (12th and Hawthorne) is having a PDX Pop Now! Benefit show with Typhoon, Yeah Great Fine, and Ocean Age. This is an awesome show. I saw Typhoon earlier this week and I must say they are in top form. They are one of my favorite bands in Portland. Yeah Great Fine are recording an album with the same person who recorded Typhoon. It is supposedly really good. Ocean Age is also really good. I want to get the album that they just released. I haven't seen them since they put it out. But I suggest that you do. Plus all of the sales are going directly to PDX Pop Now! during the time that the show is going on, so get a shake or a burger or something. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 7 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a "Swellebration" with Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, Dirty Mittens, Yeltsin, Tahoe Jackson, Matt Sheehy & The Menders, Run On Sentence, Sean Flinn & The Royal We, Adam Shearer (of Weinland),Holcombe Waller, Laura Gibson, and Justin Power. Hard to believe it has only been a year since Mississippi Studios reopened. It has become a staple in my show going like it was there forever. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Portland Playhouse is having a No PA in NoPo with St. Frankie Lee, Black Heart Moon, Walking Home, and Jana Losey. St. Frankie Lee is great. It has been too long since I have seen, them and theirs. Also I am saddened to say that this is the last show that Black Heart Moon will ever play. They are great and will be missed. Though Cat will continue to play in Horsefeathers and Perry will continue to play in my band, Meyercord, and David Dyas will still play in his own band and Carcrashlander. All great bands. The ALL AGES show is $6-$8 and starts at 7 PM.

The Artistery is having a show with White Fang, Juiceboxxx, and Savages. I like the punk that White Gang creates, even thought I haven't seen them in forever. I bet they are even better now. Juiceboxxx is like a live mixtape ie awesome. Savages is really weird and cool hip hop. This show is gonna be dope. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Blue Skies for Black Hearts, Welcome Home Walker, Hey Lover, Electric Castle, and Hullaballoons. This is presented by Boogie Creek Records who are put out Welcome Home Walker and Hullaballoons. This is a record release show for the Hullaballoons. If you like pop rock in its purist form, I am thinking that you are going to like this show. I think that Blue Skies for Black Hearts has perfected their craft. And these other bands, though I have not seen live, seem to be quite capable of the genre as well. The ALL AGES show is $ and starts at 9 PM.

Mission Theater is having a show with Mimicking Birds, Tu Fawning, Ah Holly Fam'ly, and The Lords Own Choir. I have never seen Mimicking Birds, Ibut I do like what I have heard it reminded me of quieter Modest Mouse stuff which is probably why Issac Brock is putting out their record. I love Tu Fawning and I love Ah Holly Fam'ly so I highly recommend this show. Tu Fawning have some new material that I haven't heard yet. Ah Holly Fam'ly will debut it's smaller line up tonight. The show is $6-$8 and starts at 9 PM.

Reed College Student Union is having something called Dublab's Tonalism. It is an ambient music happening from 6 PM to 6 AM. It will feature Grouper, Golden Hits, Pharaohs, Golden Retreiver, Frosty, Ale, Nanny Cantaloupe, Katie Byron, Jimmy Tamborello, Ben Knight, Jeff Yarbrough, Sam Cooper, Lavenders, and Suzanne Kraft. In case you missed it, Jimmy Tamborello ie half of the Postal Service is playing this show. Plus I always love seeing Grouper play. This is gonna be chillll. It is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

The Parlour is having a show with Pardee Shorts, The Woolen Men, Archers, and Support Force. Another Bright Lights/ Potlatch Presents show. Rejoice. These guys usually have good taste. I have written about the mathy Pardee Shirts before. I have written about the indie rock of The Woolen Men. I have not written about Archers or Support Force before, but I am sure they are pretty good. I think Support Force played earlier today at an art walk in SE. Ask them about it. The ALL AGES show is $3-$5 and starts at 7 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows say, "Hi".

-Ben


You want fries with that? Typhoon play at Burgerville tonight.

No comments: