Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for September 26th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I fell to the temptation of a Netflix movie and a box of Annie's macaroni and cheese. This often happens when I am a) exhausted b) torn very strongly between a couple shows and c) kinda poor. Well, it is morning now and I admit that I am having feelings of regret. Did anyone go to a show last night? How was it? Sigh. Here are the shows I am interested in tonight.

Saturday, September 26th

Mississippi Pizza is having a show with Annie Bethancourt, Fred Van Vactor (Eugene) and Sabrina Fountain. Annie Bethancourt is a part-time resident of Portland. She has ine if those really strong "professional" sounding voices that is usually attached to a person that canot write good songs but songs okay singing bad ones. What sets her apart is that her songs are really good lyrically and musically. Most of her songs are love songs. But are better than the "you don't love me and I am so sad" type of songs that singer-songwriters often produce. Her songs are usually filled with hope or humor. Sometimes both. But, she also throws in some sad ones in there. I know that she has been away working on a new cd. I am not sure if she will have it or not. It might be worth looking into. This show is by donation and starts at 9 PM.

The Tonic Lounge is having a show with Fruit of the Legion of Loom, Shoeshine Blue, Sarah Gwen, and Warvette. This looks like a very interesting show. Fruit of the Legion of Loom makes music that is very quirky and often is hard to tell if it is awesome or just silly. Shoeshine Blue is great. He has a great rasp of a voice that he backs with two gals and a stand up player, and violin player (last time I checked anyway). Sarah Gwen has a haunting voice that displays her sad songs very well. Warvette seems to to be a crazy older guy. Kinda like Tom Waits, but mostly not like Tom Waits. I don't know how musch this show costs but it is probably cheap and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Musee Mecanique, Frontier Ruckus (Orion, MI), MBilly and Billygoat. Musee Mecanique may very well be the best band in Portland. I am saying they are, but it would be an interesting debate. I was listening to them yesterday thin king about how good their arrangements and sense of mood is. They apparently have a bunch of new material. I would wager they are going to play some of it tonight. Then who knows when you will see them next as they are going over seas to tour with/back Laura Gibson. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

The Know is having a show with Soft Tags and The Rainy States. I have not seen them live yet, but I have two eps' of theirs and they grown on me a lot. Lo-fi indie rock aesthetic forever! The show is $ and starts at 7 PM.

Work/sound is having a show with Swim Swam Swum, Deer Or The Doe, and (((In Mono))). Indie Rock done right! The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 8 PM.

Say "Hi" if you see me!

-Ben


Musee Mecanique play the Woods tonight!

No comments: