Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Muisc Picks for September 24th

Hello Dear Readers,

What up? Looks like regular nights of many many shows I am interested are back. I enjoyed the little lull that followed MFNW, but now it is time to get back in the swing of things. Here is what I am interested in tonight.

Thursday, September 24th

Jackpot Records is having an in-store performance by Explode into Colors. Somebody recently informed me that I hate this band. I don't recall ever saying that. I may have said that I don't think they are the best band in Portland. But I don't think that any band is. I have only seen them once and it was at a festival that had been at all day. I thought it was fun. It didn't blow my mind. Explode into Colors is a very fun band to see. I think everyone knows that, which means that this ALL AGES and FREE show will get very crowded. It starts at 6 PM, but get there early if you want to be able to see anything.

Holocene is having something called Fid de Cinema it will feature Ilyas Ahmed, AAN, Dash!, Ghosting, and Why I Must Be Careful. After doing a little research I found out that Fid de Cinema is where they screen a movie while bands provide a live score to the film. Today they are showing The Holy Mountain. The people who are playing this are all pretty amazing and now that I see what they will be doing I think they will be perfect. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with On The Stairs, Sarah Gwen, and Threads. On the stairs is one of the many bands that Nate Clark is involved in. If I not mistaken it is one of the two bands he fronts. This one is listed as Folk Rock. I think that is a pretty accurate description if only because acoustic rock has such awful awful connotations. It sounds really good. There are really cool arrangements. Sarah Gwen makes kinda slow kinda down music. Think along the lines of Sera Cahoone. I like it. I could find no info on Threads. Whatevs. The show is $4 and starts at 9:30 PM.

Dunes is having a show with Archers, Cat Stalks Bird, and The Woolen Men. This is one of those shows I am basing on someone else's suggestion. I have heard from someone, I forget who, that The Woolen Men are really good. I listened to their myspace and it does sound pretty good. So does Cat Stalks Bird. They both make kinda interesting noisey indie pop rock. I can get down with them. Actually I might be more into CSB. Not that it is a contest. The show show might cost money and starts at 9 PM.

So if you see me at any of these fine gatherings of music, please say "Hi". It would be most courteous of you.

-Ben


Sarah Gwen will play tonight at Laurelthirst. No word on whether the prominent tikki candle will be making an appearance.

No comments: