Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for September 12th

Hello Dear Readers,

I really like the Woods. You should check it out. I had a lot of fun. I saw Church play there last night and it was Uh-Mazing. I love that band so much. I made a mistake when I listed the show yesterday. Lane, their drummer has been back for a week now. So that alternate set involving a drum machine I made mention of, didn't happen. Which I am totally fine with, because I have seen Church with Lane and without Lane and prefer the with Lane version. Anyway, here is what I am interested in tonight.

Saturday, September 13th

The TBA's The Works is having Bugskull and Quasi play tonight. The works is located at Washington High School. I have heard of Bugskull before. I love me some Quasi. They are one of the bands that I looked forward to seeing all the time when I moved up here almost five years ago now. A it turns out, they don't play out that often, so when they do it is kinda a big deal. The show is $8-10 and starts at 11 PM.

Rotture is having its three year anniversary with a show consisting of Fleshtone, Fist Fite, Hot Victory, Diamond Liars, and DJ Linoleum. This to me seems like a very Rotture-esque show. The venue tends to lean towards a little bit more experimental type music. It doesn't do a lot of pop rock shows. While Fleshtone maybe catchy, it is also clearly kinda performance art pop. Fist Fite is great but is, as I recall, pretty scream/yelp filled. Hot Victory has two drummers and a keyboard. Experimental! I don't know anything about Diamond Liars. All the other acts I can say that I would have a good time watching. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Pill Wonder (Seattle), The Golden Hours, and Sunn Dagger (Olympia). Pill Wonder plays cheerful noisy pop music. Sounds good. I have heard really good things about The Golden Hours. I just checked out their myspace and I think it would be awesome to see them. Their recordings are rough lo-fi pop gems. Check out their cover of "Baby it's You" so good. I just checked out Sunn Dagger. They are also a good example of noisy pop greatness. This is how pop punk should have gone instead of the polished crap that it eventually became. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

White Eagle is having a show with The Maldives (Seattle), Gavin Wahl-Stephens & The New Americans, and Celilo. Americana! I love it. And judging by the amount of Portland bands who play it, so does this city. I think that the Maldives are a very good example of the twangy, dare I say, country end of the Americana spectrum. They have it down. It is so good live. Actually it has been a while since I have seen them . maybe they have a new album to sell. Oh, they do. Also I have been very impressed every time I have seen Celilo. The show is $8 and starts at 9:30 PM.

So if you see me at any of these shows. Say "Hi". Someone did last night and it was awesome.

-Ben


Just a taste of some of the sonic freak outs you might witness as Quasi plays tonight at Washington High School.

No comments: