Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for September 15th

Hello Dear Readers,

You did not see me last night. I ended having a long AristeiA practice. It was the coolest practice ever, because it was a joint practice with our practice space-mates Nanda Devi. We took turns playing songs. They are pretty awesome, if you have not heard them. It was kinda like seeing a show. However, if you go to one of the following shows, it will be more like going to a show.

Tuesday, September 15th

Plan B is having a show with Frank Portman aka Dr. Frank of The Mr. T Experience fame. Pat Kerns of Blue Skies for Black Hearts is opening. So is Eric Peabody. So here it goes. I used to love pop-punk. I listened to a lot of it in middle school and, sigh, high school. In my mind there was pop-punk and there was punk-pop. I felt that a band like NOFX was punk-pop. While a band like the Mr. T Experience was pop-punk. MTX was probably my favorite band in that category. Their songs were so catchy and clever. I was always amazed at how well Dr. Franks words flowed and were humorous and rhymed all at once. So I think this show will be great. Plus it will be interesting to see what Pat sounds like all unplugged and band less. The show is $5 at 9 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having NW Mini-fest with The Slaves, Happy Birthday Secret Weapon (Seattle), Starcicleanatomy, Cloaks, and Luis Gutee & His Friends (Santa Cruz). This is of course a nod to the big festival that will start tomorrow Music Fest North West. I am mostly listing this show based on the strength of the performance that The Slaves put on a while back at the Nurses album release show. It was so good. That is if you like ridiculously beautiful ambient tinted music. Which I do. It looks like a fun show though, and besides this fest is much more affordable at $5. It starts at 9 PM.

Music Millennium is having a Portugal. The Man in-store performance. This band is very good. But be warned they are constantly changing their sound. Their last album was a pop album. But they used to be kinda crazy. From what I understand they play from their whole catalogue. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with White Hinterland and Neal Morgan. I think White Hinterland makes pretty interesting music. Honestly I think I like the feel and textures of her music more than I like her songs. I cannot remember any particular song, but I know that they have a dark feel and that Casey Dienel and Shawn Creeden use candles to light their instruments. Shawn, in particular, makes noises with various electronics and percussive instruments, while Casey sings and mans a Fender Rhodes. Neal Morgan on the other hand is less dark and more drums. He mostly does vocal looping and live drumming, though I have read the at has included Dahmris Peterson as a vocalist as well. I am not sure if this will put an end to the looping or not. Only one way to find out. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Pizza is having a show with Dinner Pelonca and Elliot King. Dinner (yes, that's his real name) is a piano playing man, who plays piano and croons out some pop with an indie twist. Elliot King plays very very earnest music and good music that sometimes reminds me of old Alan Singley. I love old Alan Singley, so... Oh, and tonight he will debut his full band. Sounds exciting. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.


So if you see me at one of these shows, take a deep breathe and then walk up to me and say "Hi". There is a good chance you will not regret it. I will be wearing a red Yellowstone hat.

-Ben


If you like this, you'll love Valentine's (where Neal Morgan will be playing tonight)

No comments: