Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for September 1st

Hello Dear Readers,

Holy Moly has it been crazy in my life lately. I have seemed to have filled my days to the brim with doing things away from the computer screen. There have been many really good shows lately. One such show was the Ramona Falls, Dirty Mittens, and Brothers Young show that occurred last Friday. I had the pleasure of seeing them twice previous to that show as Y La Bamba opened for them in Ashland and Seattle, but I liked it so much that I wanted to see them in our hometown. Plus I think that The Dirty Mittens are one of the most fun bands to see live. Their music is so fun and danceable. The Brothers Young (Ritchie Young's younger bros and company) were pretty good. The brothers, there are three of them, usually sing in unison to a very good effect. The music usually finds a good groove and sticks with it. The Dirty Mittens played with a different sax player than normal, Reed from the amazing band Blue Cranes. I guess there regular sax player, Morgan, is on tour with The Old Believers. I had a really good time. There was a guy handing out tin foil head wear in the front row so I got to sport a nice foil hat during much of the set. Plus there was a girl who made me promise to "rock out" with her during the last song. I hope I did an all right job. Then Ramona Falls. Paul Alcott, their drummer advised the audience before the set that there were two rules. 1. That we rock the fuck out. 2. There are no other rules. I also did my best in this situation. I find it hard to believe that the live band came together in close to a month. They were so tight. It did, as one could expect, have some very Menomena-esque moments, but over different sound than Brent's other band. I was very happy to have attended. Here is what I want to attend today.


Tuesday, September 1st

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Autopilot is for Lovers, Black Heart Moon, and Ritchie Young. This will be a great show. I mean to say that all of these bands are really good. Autopilot is for Lovers is set to release a CD this year on Bladen County which is great because I feel like they have grown a lot since they last recorded. I mean I know they have actually grown in band members. Then there is Black Heart Moon. They are so good. I have seen them since they were a two piece playing the open mic that I used to help out with at Zilla Sake. It showed a lot of potential. But Jeez have they come a long way fast. I have taken so much of an interest in their music that I have started singing with them and will be doing so tonight as it their CD release show tonight for their debut album, "Lovers and Markers" Plus I share a bass player with them. And of course you know Ritchie Young as being the leader of Loch Lomond. The show is $8 and stars at 8 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Dragging an Ox Through Water, Janet Pants and The Double U. I love Dragging an Ox Through Water so much. Which defies logic since I have not been out to see him for a long time. I guess he tends to play shows on days when I am playing shows (see above). I have been meaning to get his last album forever. I think Janet Pants does some sort of dance thing. Not like dance music but more like modern choreography type stuff. I believe that Brian Mumford (Dragging) is part of that as well. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Someday Lounge is having a show with Dallas County Potential, Keyboard, Inside Voices. I also love Inside Voices. I have not really heard of the other two artists that are playing, but the description that Someday put on their website intrigues me, "Keyboard is one kid with a keyboard who is more entertaining than most bands in town. Keyboard is into what he does, and it shows. Quirky, cool songs are delivered with such sincerity and yet you can't help feeling like you are on Mars as you watch. It's a little bit like a lot of things but nothing you've ever seen before. Once in awhile you meet a young artist who has that certain twinkle in his eye, the kind of person you know is destined for bigger things. Keyboard is that guy. Go see him play in an intimate Portland venue before he figures that out!". The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you go to Mississippi Studios tonight, then come say "Hi". I will be all like, "Oh, Hi".

-Ben


Imagine this with an actual drummer and me singing and you have a closer picture as to what they will sound like tonight.

No comments: