Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, November 28th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I, for some reason, could not bring myself to do anything. I worked went home then eventually went to sleep. It was not very exciting. I think that winter brings out the lazy ass in me. Tonight I am going to be a part of a kickstarter video for the next Y La Bamba album. Hopefully it goes well and I get out early enough to catch a show. Here are the shows that look good to me:

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Pigeons, Wax Fingers, and What Hearts. There is also rumor of a dance performance from tEEth. I have not heard the debut album from Pigeons, The Talking Wire, but I have heard that it is good. Plus I have seen them play and seen Justin Ready play solo too. It is good. He is a helluva songwriter and a helluva guitar player but is complimented very well by the rest of the band (which includes members of the sister band Petosky). Wax Fingers is a and that I have been wanting to see for a while. They make music that is math, poppy, and awesome. I think that you will like them. What Hearts is a group of ladies that has three part harmonies and folky goodness. If you go to the media section of the tEEth website that I linked to you can get a glimpse of the weirdness that is what they do. Modern dance for sure. It looks like something out of a persons nightmares. But in a cool way. The show is $6 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Rontoms is having a show with El Rey and Orca Team. I have only heard one song by El Rey. It seemed like a rock song with a great keyboard solo. I am writing about this show because of Orca Team though. I still haven't seen them. I really want to. Their retro pop sounds along with their commitment to the ascetic of the early 60's impresses me. Their songs are really catchy and delightfully get stuck in my head. I am going to try my darnedest to make it to this show. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

East End is having a show with Ex-Humans (NY), Foster Care (NY), White Fang, and Boom!. This is a party punk show. And what's more, I think that the two sets of bands are band BFF's. I know for a fact that White Fang said that Boom! was their band BFF. Honestly it is the first time I had heard of such a thing. But it totally makes sense. Some bands just love each other and end up playing tons of shows together. Ex-Humans and Foster Care are on tour together and are both each others top friends on myspace. While this is not exactly proof that they have band BFF status, it is surely worth something. The show is $ and starts at 9 PM (East End never lists admission price or when the shows start).

Valentine's is having a show with EB Harris & The Afterlife Revival, Sexo Tropico, and Pony Village. I couldn't find much information on EB Harris & The Afterlife Revival, but EB Harris's are can be found here. It looks great. Sex Tropico sounds like a really poppy band with a lead singer that gives it enough of an edge to balance out the sweetness of the music that might too much otherwise. The music reminds me a bit of the Belle & Sebastian vibe (without the slow ballads). I am listing the show because of Pony Village. I am a fan of their indie rock lite feel. It is easy to like. I suggest you pick up their self titled 12" EP. It sounds great. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". We can discuss things and stuff.

-Ben


Wax Fingers plays at Mississippi Studios tonight! Sweet!

No comments: