Sunday, November 7, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, November 7th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played at the Wonder Ballroom. The stage was big. There were fog machines. There were lights. And there were many many people. I had good time and then I saw The Yard Dogs Road Show and I was having a great time. They had everything: music, theatrics, confetti, shooting streamers, onstage costume changes, scantily clad dancers, tap dancing, sword swallowing, magic, and at one point they had sparks fly out of a the head of a flying v guitar that was being played. It was awesome. Anyway, here are some shows that look good to me tonight:

Rontoms is having as how with Ok Sweatheart and Oh Captain My Captain. Ok Sweatheart is a polished pop band fronted by Erin Austin. They have done some worked with members of one of my favorite Denton, TX bands Midlake. I went to college in Denton so I think it is cool when other people are familiar with that tiny ass town. Oh Captain My Captain is a great band. They are constantly changing their line up. It is centered around the above average songs of Jesse Bettis. He is currently backed by two thirds of Arch Cape ie Michael Kitson and Seth Mankowski. They are both great. Mike is able to play drums, toy piano, bells, and sing often at the same time. Seth is one of the best bass players in town and has been starting to add some vocals to the harmonies. Listening to their music some influences are not veiled at all. Clearly they are fans of David Bazan, The Beach Boys, and Queen. They also often remind me of Dr. Dog. I think the songs and arrangements are just so good. They have one ep with the current line up called The Body. All five of the songs are great. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Alessi's Ark (London), Greylag, and Bright Archer. Alessi's Ark is the project of one Alessi Laurent-Marke. Her story is kinda incredible. She basically dropped out of school at 16 to do music full time and ended up signing a record deal with Virgin Records by her 17th birthday. The best part is that when the major label asked who she wanted to produce she picked Mike Mogis the Saddle Creek/Bright Eyes recording guy. I love it. It should be noted that she is now on more independent labels (Yep Rock in the US and Bella Union in UK). The music is actually pretty good to boot. Her voice is breathy and very familiar sounding. Seening as to how there were many Saddle Creek/ Omaha players on the record it sounds like a Saddle Creek release. I am generally a fan of the label. Greylag is a Portland band that I have not heard before, but I really like what I have just heard. It is based on the songwriting of Andrew Stonestreet and Daniel Dixon. It has a indie folk feel in the same realm of Blind Pilot. I think it is pretty cool. Bright Archer is the name of Johanna Kunin. She is actually the reason I am writing about the show. I remember finding out about her when searching Seattle musicians back when I when thinking I could book a tour for Meyercord. I remember instantly liking her music and being too intimidated to ask if she would want to play a show with me. About a year ago she moved to Portland and since then has joined Loch Lomond and changed her performing name to Bright Archer (she has kept her regular name for regular purposes). The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Sedan, Tara Jane O'Neil, Jung Sleaths, and Helll (Japan). I couldn't find out any information about Sedan, but you guys know I like TJO. She just played the Siren Nation Festival a few days ago, but I like seeing her in smaller spaces. Valentine's is an especially perfect size for her. I feel like her music has an intimate feel and I know that Valentine's is hard to not feel intimate. Jung Sleaths is a band. All I know is that Brian Mumford of Dragging an Ox Through Water has something to do with the band. Since he is awesome, I am foxing to go ahead and assume that Jung Sleaths is also awesome. Helll is from Japan and tagged itself as psychedelic and experimental. Most of the bands that I have heard from Japan that were psychedelic and experimental were loud as hell. Helll is actually quite chill. And good. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Tim Kasher (LA?), Darren Hanlon (Australia), and Themes. Cursive and The Good Life are both great bands that Tim Kasher fronts and puts out records with. I am not exactly sure why he needed to put out a record under his own name. But I am glad he did. Because I like his music. As sad and mopey and angry as it can be at times. Darren Hanlon is from down under. I heard of him because local musician Gory Gray (of Carcrashlander and many many local records) has gone on tour with them a few times. I did not listen to him until rather recently though. It is really good. Some where I read a reference to Jonathan Richman. I can see that. They both write clever clever songs. Themes is a local moody piano/guitar duo with male/female vocals. I have not seen them play which is ridiculous because I know them both. I actually use to share a practice space with them. So dumb that I have not seen them. The show is $14 and starts at 9 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Just Like Vinyl (Seattle), Hollie Pollock, and Zoogirl. Just Like Vinyl is not really my thing, but the guitars sound pretty awesome. Plus I read that just three days ago the got into an accident head on with a drunk driver going the wrong way on an Interstate. Yet they are still playing on the road. That is bad ass. I am mostly writing about the show regarding Zoogirl though. I think they are pretty great. It is definitely emo sounding. But I like it. I can't explain it. I can''t justify it. I just like it and you might not. Or you may be like me and be like, "that sounds awesome. I want to sing along". Plus I love a lot of the guitar playing. The show is $5 and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I am not going to make you, but that would be the civil thing to do.

-Ben


This is Bright Archer before she was Bright Archer. She will play at The Woods tonight!

No comments: