Saturday, November 27, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, November 27th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I did went to a show that I did not list. I did not plan on it, but I was selling CDs (a guy's gotta eat) at Music Millennium when I got a call from a friend about an early show with The Music Tapes. I went because I know that the band leader of that group, Julian Koster, is a part of the Elephant 6 Collective. He was an actual member of Neutral Milk Hotel. The show was a great mixture of performance and music, and magic. There was a lot that went into the show, I cannot begin to describe it. But I would definitely suggest that people experience them if given an opportunity. There are a ton of shows going on tonight. Many of them have good bands. I don't have the time to list them all, so these are the shows are the best of the best:

Rip City Skate is having a show with Anne, Orca Team, and Youth. Anne kinda sounds a bit 80's like. Tonight they are releasing their brand spanking new mixtape, Mixtape One. You can download the mixtape and their demo for FREE right here. I love that bands are starting to do "mixtures". And And And released one about recently too. Orca Team is a band that I really need to see. I love their retro pop sounds. I think that they are for sure on the top of "I feel like an idiot for not having seen them yet" list. I could not find any information on the ungoogleable band Youth. The show is $5 and starts at 8 PM.

The Artistery is having a benefit for itself. It will feature Wampire, Billions & Billions, and Ghost to Falco. The Artistery is an awesome place. I have seen many awesome shows there. I have played a few good ones too. I realize that the economy kinda sucks all around. But it isn't until I see it effected things in my life that I start to notice. I feel like The Artistery is the best ALL AGES venue in town. The people are super nice. The bands are always really good and the feel is the perfect hybrid of a house show and venue. Wampire is the perfect band for the venue. They could fill the room and turn it into a dance party in seconds. I have seen them do it in other basements. Rocky from that band knows all about ALL AGES venue hardship. He saw The Hush come and go all to quickly. Wampire play kinda chill dance music with huge pop hooks. Billions & Billions play proggy rock. Ghost To Falco play music that is somewhere between Dragging an Ox Through Water and Mt. Eerie. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with World's Greatest Ghosts, Jared Mees & The Grown Children, and Black Whales (Seattle). I love seeing both World's Greatest Ghost and Jared Mees & The Grown Children. They are both have so much fun that it almost always spreads through the audience. I also like knowing that they are actually friends. Because playing shows with you friends is the best. I read a thing that reviews Jared Mees & Company's last album. They have come a very long way since that release. They are a much larger sounding band. Almost every single new song is epic. I have not seen WGG since their CD release show. I bet they have new stuff that I haven't heard. This will be a great show. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.
The Press Club is having a show with Duover, James Low, Kelly Blair Bauman, and Evan Way (of The Parson Red Heads). I have seen and enjoyed Duover a few times over. You might want to go to this show to see if they have any physical copies of their new Christmas album (all originals believe). If not you can download it on the cheap at their bandcamp (which I already linked to). Kelly Blair Bauman is someone that I have been meaning to see for a while. His music is very good Americana. Evan Way is just as good as his main band. It is different of course, but in a good way. Like Heatmiser to Elliott Smith. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Paschal Coeur, Donovan Breakwater, and Winterhaven. Paschal Coeur is a band that I never saw. This is the last show of theirs ever. If you have any interest in seeing this band, tonight is the night. I am not really all that great at describing bands. That mixed with the fact that they are kinda a hard band to peg leaves me at a los.. You can download the one EP they recorded (and some other stuff) at This Heart Will Burn Right Out. Donovan Breakwater sound pretty good. Like a late 90's indie rock band. Or maybe early Weezer. I think you will like it. Winterhaven is concerned with country rock and harmonies. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". We can discuss things and stuff.

-Ben


World's Greatest Ghost play at the Doug Fir tonight!

No comments: