Monday, November 15, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Muisc Picks for Monday, November 15th

Hello Dear Readers,

I was out last night by 10 PM. No shows, no problem. I was at home rekindling my love for recorded music. Did you know you can sometimes get music of the Internet for FREE?!!?!? Hosannass, one of my favotite Portland bands just released a remix ep which is really good. There are remixes by some of my other favorite's like Ocean Age and Copy. God knows I love a Copy remix. You can download that sucka free of charge right here I hope that you guys were able to see a show last night. There are some promising shows happening. Are you curiouus as to what shows? Of course you are. These are the shows:

Doug Fir is having a show with David Dondero, The Moaners (Chapel Hill), and Alameda. I first heard about David Dondero a while back when I was obsessed with Bright Eyes. I read a lot of articles about them and somewhere read that David Dondero was an influence."It was hearing David Dondero's voice, that made me comfortable with my own." Connor Oberst (Bright Eyes). Therefore I checked him out. Sure enough, his voice quavers, he writes very lyrical heavy songs that often have clever and poetic aspects. I have never seen him. He apparently does not live in places for long, but I seem to rememeber reading that he had moved to Portland a while back. His myspace has him living in Duluth Minnesota. He is a traveler who releases diaries in the form of albums. He is on tour with The Moaners, a female two piece from Chapel Hill. They switch between guitar, bass, and vocal duties. One of them, Laura can play drumes , while the other one, Melissa, can play harmonica and saw. Since David is usually a solo affair and there is not many of The Moaners, I am wondering if they might also act as a backing band. That would be pretty cool. Opening up ther show is Alameda. If you like that place where classical instruments and acoustic balladers meet, then you will like what Alameda has to offer. If you make it to the show you should pick up their The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Tearist (LA), Wampire, and The Cysts. So umm...I went to high school with Yasmine from Tearist. It is pretty weird cause neither of us really played music back then, though I think we were on the verge of it. Tearist is a duo where a dude named William makes syth based music that sounds like experimental almost but not quite drum and bass. Yasmine all the while wails over the music making use of reverb and delay pedals. The live shows seem to be very theatrical. Did I mention I did theater in highschool with Yasmine? Cause I did. Wampire are also no strangers to theatrics. They kinda need to they depend heavily on prerecorded music. That is not to say that they don't play instruments. Cyrus is one the best drummers around and they really are singing. They are also rolling around the floor with their pants down. The thing about it is that their music is insanely catchy. I have their songs in my head more times than I can remember. The Cysts are a noisey hardcore? bunch. I am dreadfully under informed when it comes to genres. I could The show is by donation and starts at 9 PM.

Backspace is having something called Battery Powered. This is not a particular band, but it is music related and it does involve local portland people. The Backspace website described the event as follows, "Battery powered music ensemble jam sessions with an open mixer. Drum circle v2.0, inclusive, fun and, at times, and epic mass of grinding handheld techno! Certain nights will feature solo artists and smaller ensembles, all within the context of an open space of structured improvisation and collaboration. Battery powered music welcomes the rich classic chiptune sounds and also invites the polyphony of voices available in bent instrumentoys & the newer 16 bit battery powered musical systems. We are interested in innovations in battery power & rechargeable technologies. If you have found or built and mastered a battery powered music production instrument that is bring it!". This could be awesome. The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 8 PM>

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". It feels good to greet friends or strangers. In all likelihood I fall into one of those categories in relation to you.

-Ben


Is this what you want to see? If so, head out to Valentine's tonight

No comments: