Friday, November 5, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, November 5th

Hello Dear Readers,

I think I am almost fully recovered! That being said I am scheduled to work tonight until 11 PM tonight. Which means I will probably not be seeing any shows tonight. Boo. Maybe you check them out for me? I want you all to do my bidding. Which in this case is to see shows. It's really not all that bad, my bidding. Any who,here are some shows that look good to me:

Someday Lounge is having the first show of the Siren Nation 2010 Festival. The show will feature Anomie Belle (Seattle), Sarah Jackson Holman, Tara Jane O'Neil, and Katie Sawicki. Siren Nation is a festival with a specific mission: "to inspire and empower women of all ages to create their own art and to highlight the many achievements of women in the arts." Does this sound like a good thing? Of Course it does. Last Year Y La Bamba played and it was a good time. In addition to music, film and art, and crafts are covered. There will be several workshops and speakers throughout the weekend. Check the website for more information. As for tonight's show. Anomie Belle is a pretty talented lady she produces music that would could be classified as post-trip hop. She writes, produces, records the music herself. She has collaborated and toured with Trip Hop legend Tricky. Tara Jane O'Neil has been making music in bands and solo since she was 19 years old. She has over time developed her place in both the music and art world. Her music sounds familiar yet not really like anything else. It has blues and sometimes country influences but they never overtly take over her sound. I like it. Sarah Jackson Holman is a young Oregonian raised pop piano playing person. She will no doubt get thrown in the category of Norah Jones type music. I have not listened enough to make an informed opinion. Nor do I have an opinion on the "folk" "rock" of Katie Sawicki. The show is $15 and starts at 7 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Laura Veirs & The Hall of Flames, Leslie & The Badgers, and Led to Sea (Seattle). Laura Veirs is great. Did you hear her last album? It was really good. The lead track "July Flame" was in my head for months and has just re-entered it by thinking about the song. Tell you what. You click on the link I provided and tell me that that is isn't a great song. I dare you. Leslie & The Badgers plays that glorious music that is country music that is good. So much of that genre is not to my liking, but when it is good. I think it's the greatest. With song titles like "My Tears are Wasted On You", one gets a sense that it is the real deal. Led to Sea is the band that is fronted by Hall of Flames' L. Alex Guy. She sings and play violin and viola for that band, Mirah, and as part of the Jason Weebly Trio. This, as one might expect, is a violin heavy project. Her voice and arrangements are super sweet. The music is rooted both in the classical and indie worlds. The show is $14 and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Marine Stern (NYC), AgesAndAges, and Sielagg/Schonberg. I see the name Marine Stern all over the Internet. She is a little difficult to pin down. Her myspace lists her as progressive. I can see that. I can also see the Deerhoof and Hella influences. It's cool. I am writing about the show because of the feel good vocally impressive AgesAndAges. They are great. They are fun. They have an album that I believe is finished. I want so very badly for it to be released. Sieglagg and Schonberg is a duo of drums and bass clarinet. They sound pretty great. Sielagg plays with many people, most notably with Golden Retriever. Schonberg was in that band Explode into Colors and Kickball. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with The Lower 48, Great Wilderness, and John Heart Jackie. The Lower 48 is a group of young songwriters with two guitars drums and vocal harmonies. They appear to have lost a member since I last checked their info. Great Wilderness is a new band that only has one demo up. It sounds kinda folky. It looks like they have plans to record later this month and put an ep out on vinyl (CDs be damned!). The thing that caught my eye on the bill was John Heart Jackie. I think they are great. The male female harmonies are beautiful. The songs themselves are well written. I am a sucker for their type of folk pop. There is no hope for me. The show is $6 and starts at 10 PM.

You will not see me at shows tonight. But if you see each other, please give the proper greetings.

-Ben


AgesAndAges will be singing all at once tonight at Mississippi Studios.

No comments: