Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music for Wednesday, Novemeber 3rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I got called into work and didn't get out until 11PM. That is prime show watching time. By the time I was done I could not bring myself to go to a show. Instead I went home to watch election results. Woo-hoo, I am an adult! But seriously if I had gotten out at 9PM, I would have gone out to a show. But anyway, here are some shows that look good to me tonight:

Laurelthirst is having the Parson Red Heads do the happy hour residency in November. This is the first one, but every Wednesday of this month they will be playing here. For FREE. If you are unfamiliar with the band, you really should check them out. They sound like a good country rock band. For that is what they are. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Later Laurelthirst will have another excellent show with Duover and Grey Anne. I have seen Duover a couple times and I like their boy girl simple folk. It is very nice and feels good. I have not seen Grey Anne play in a while there are rumours (started by her) that she is sometimes playing with a stand up bass player. That would double the size of her band. I am interested to see how it fits. I am also interested in hearing how it fits. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Alemeda, Jen Moon, and Adam Thompson. Alemeda is the project wherein Sterling Myles writes songs on acoustic guitar and his friends accompany him on more classical instruments. Like Cello, viola, violin, and bass clarinet. Not to mention the gorgeous female backing vocals. I think it is wonderful sound. Jen Moon does not sound like this at all. Jen leads this keyboard/piano driven four piece that also includes two thirds of Oh Captain My Captain. When you have Set Mankoski and Jesse Bettis in the band, your songs are gonna sound pretty sweet. I am not sure what Adam Thompson is gonna play, but he is better know for playing bass in Thao and The Get Down Stay Down. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

The Knife Shop is having a show with Rob Jones, Kyle Morris, Matthew Strange, and Ryan Barber. This is a night for people who are normally known to be backed by a group to go it alone. Rob Jones who is normally known to be backed by The Valiant Arms (or his record label Jealous Butcher) recently curated the Led Zeppelin comp. I will be honest, I am not familiar with Valiant Arms. Kyle Morris is of the band Holy Children. This is another band I do not know. Matthew Strange is of the band Hawkeye, a band I have heard of. The main reason I am writing about the show is because of Pony Village's Ryan Barber. Not only is this a sweet man, he fronts a sweet band. As you have probably noticed I always list when he band plays and I always say nice things about his band because...well, because I like his band. The show is $2 and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". It is the way I greet people.

-Ben


Grey Anne will play the Laurelthirst tonight. All you have to pay is attention (it's FREE y'all!)

No comments: