Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thusday, November 18th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I was too tired to go to a show. I am happy to say that Y La Bamba successfully recorded a Bar Bar Apartment session. You can see the past sessions here. We followed that with a practice which put me at going non stop for about 13 hours (I worked before all of the fun music stuffs). Any way here are the shows happening today:

There is a ribbon cutting event today in Kenton. Specifically at the intersection of N Denver and N Kilpatrick. Meyercord will be playing an opening and closing set for the event. In between Mayor Sam Adams will be speaking and a ribbon will be cut. I am stoked because I will be playing with the full band. This has only happened once before. Drums, stand up bass, trombone, clarinet, glockenspiel, guitar, and three voices. Those are the ingredients for the music. I think we do all right with what we have. The event is FREE and starts at 2 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Adam Sweeney & The Jamboree, The Courage (Seattle), and Ezza Rose. Adam Sweeney's music actually sounds like a jamboree. A folky jamboree. The Courage is the new band of Noah Gundersen, the dread locked folk singer who has been around forever. This band is a rock band that has folk fiddle sounds incorporated within. It is often much better than I remember Noah Gundersen being the one time I saw him play. I am writing about this show because of Ezza Rose. There is a quality o=in her voice that I cannot put my finger on, but that really enjoy. She has a great line up including two women who harmonize with her incredibly well while also holding down gorgeous string parts. The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 8 PM.

Langano Lounge is having a show with Holy Tentacles, and On The Stairs. Holy Tentcles is a catchy math rock band with boy got vocals. On The Stairs is not. They are more of a band that are somewhere between Van Morrison and Bonnie Prince Billie. They are both good. The show is FREE and starts at

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". You'd be the coolest kid in school if you did.

-Ben

Ezza Rose - Trigger from bar bar apartment sessions on Vimeo.

Ezza Rose will play Backspace TONIGHT!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Ben, Great blog! Thanks so much for plugging our Backspace show. Been excited about this one for quite some time. It's going to be a blast -- hope you can make it!

-Adam Sweeney